Can someone post me a picture

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by PeterT, Mar 1, 2012.

1. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Of a standard set of front brake pads, just the rear of them please to save me taking mine out??
    I have got some usefull info from a technical guy and will post it soon as i have done the mod.
    Thanks.

2. Dave-uk

Dave-uk Active Member

Is an 07 blade pads ok?

3. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

4. Dave-uk

Dave-uk Active Member

There you go Peter :D

Attached Files:

5. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just what i thought!!!!

Thank You ever so much.

6. Dave-uk

Dave-uk Active Member

You are welcome Peter, happy to help mate :D

7. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

That certainly explains a lot of issues with the master cylinder travel.

8. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Perhaps that Brembo MC that i was going to fit seems redundant now based on my findings.

9. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

do tell Pete.

10. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Right i can now reveal the results of what i was trying to achieve. Firstly i found the standard set up rather squishy in feeling being that the travel of the master cylinder lever is not firm for the first inch or so
    this is something i did not like, so i tried to figure out why it was not firm from the pull. I tried several pad sets with the same standard Honda shim on the back and the results were the same appart from the fell of different pads. Next up was to strip the master cylinder ans see where the fault mifgt lie, nothing there so i then checked out the ratio of the levers as i use the Pazzo's and there was a big difference but not in terms of the missing travel??? Where i might ask you is it then??? it is in the shims on the pads!!! the shims do not sit over the brake piston squarely and only cover half the piston which causes it to rock between pad and shim, answer to get that lovely rock hard feeling at the master cylinder was to remove the shims, now having Brembo pads fitted i see no need to upgrade to a new Brembo master cylinder!! Money i can now spend on some Rizoma rearsets.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

By shims do you mean the anti squeal plates ? Any noise coming from the brakes now ?

12. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Yes i mean those anti sqeal plates, i have no noise coming from them and a very possitive front brake now which has transformed the braking along with some decent pads!!!

13. abv

abv Active Member

I did this at the weekend and the feel is much much better.

I'd bought some Brembo pads to try but I'm happy enough with the brakes now to leave the OE pads in until they need changing.

Also no squealing as yet. I put a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads.

14. RedMacGregor

RedMacGregor Active Member

I have a feeling Mr Honda designed the brake to have that shim you've removed. Does it not put more pressure on the trailing end of the pad to prevent snatching if you grab a handful? I know they don't fit the shim on race brakes but you are more likely to grab the brakes in a panic on the road.

However if that's how you like the feel what the hell.

15. phantomx0_1

phantomx0_1 Active Member

Don't forget to tell your insurance company that you have now modified your brakes from the standard set up.
    If you have a bad accident and your bike is inspected by a police accident investator or an insurance inspector. They will find that the brakes have been modified and they gives them cause not to pay out.