Can you get the Front end back to Original form after a Moderate Hit ?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by GO HONDA RED, Aug 16, 2011.

1. GO HONDA RED

GO HONDA RED Active Member

My misfortune and a Deer's that we crossed paths last night. It obviously was not that big of a Deer since I drove over it at about 40mph. Just saw it at the last moment and had only enough time to brace for Impact. I didn't go down and was able to drive the Bike home.

Brakes seem to function normal. No leaks from the Radiator or Forks. I didn't sense any vibration from the Front going home last night. But then again, I took it easy after the incident.

If I feel no Vibrations and all seems to be functioning normal, maybe just fix up the Bodywork and drive on. But if I have to change out the Forks, will that get me to Origianl form again ?

Or is it like when you get a Fender bender. The car is never the same no matter how much you repair it.

S

2. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Hhmmm - i'd take it to Honda and get them to check the alignment. Then decide what to do once you have the info.

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Sixto, at least you're okay. I agree with Zee, I rode my Duc home after trashing it and everything felt fine but the engineers report said otherwise, to the degree that I'm now riding a Honda. It's not worth the risk mate.

4. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

If your forks aren't leaking chances are they're straight. Upside down forks leak very easily when bent

An old offroad trick after An impact is to slacken off the bottom pinch bolts, axle nut, top and bottom triple clamp (leave top ones slightly tight to stop front end dropping thru clamps)

Then bounce up and down the suspension and retighten working from the bottom to the top

If the fork is twisted slightly inside the triple clamp this method will realign the front end.

5. GO HONDA RED

GO HONDA RED Active Member

Thx guys. Off to the Service Dept I go.

6. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

+ 1 ..... Thats how i refit the front forks and tighten up the front wheel etc on my motocross