Can't see the bloody clocks!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by tonyblade, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Guys help me out on this please, whilst trying a top speed run (on the auto ban officer) at anything over 150 my head is getting buffeted all over the place so much so that I have to slow down! Now am I been a numpty here or what? I've tried twice on different roads, times, and still the same. Full leathers, x spirit lid, sidis, and tucked in. What's going on?

2. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

need to build up those neck muscles guy

then u can hold your head still

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Do you have a high screen ? My head was getting a beating with the standard screen so i bought a double bubble and now the wind is deflected over and no more problems.. Made a huge difference

4. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

looks like you have a black Dbubble

dont you find it hard to get into a racing position with the higher screen ?

i had thought about getting one - had one on my gixer

but not sure !!!!

5. dan.1moore1

Mine is not black its tint mate . Tucked i can still see over it anyway just the wind is not hitting me under the chin making my head move

6. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Hi dan, no just the standard screen fitted, I had a double bubble on my rrw and agree it was better at speed, but when your vision is all over the place on the 2011 it's not good.

7. fisher

fisher Active Member

Have you tied wearing a different lid, some are really bad at speed for catching the wind, I know my old AGV was

8. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Ahha .. not just me then phew .... I have tried a few times 'to see wot she'll do' and get the same as you and I have the genuine high screen from Honda . Every bike I have owned I have taken to the max on the odd occasion ... but the Blade is a bitch :tape:

9. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

It does it with the my old x spirit and my brand new tomizowa rep xspirit 2 so would be gutted if it's the lid but yea that's deffo a one to try, must sort this out somehow. It's got nothing to do with neck muscles, it's the fact that your vision goes at that speed. and it's unsafe to push on, bit scary really.

10. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Hi nutty, it's frustrating ain't it bud, just out of interest what make is your lid? Shoei spend ages getting these lids sorted so can't really see them being at fault. Just look how many xspirits there is in moto gp bsb etc, and them guys certainly do more than 150! I don't know, anyone got anymore thoughts on this??

11. Givover

Givover God Like

Hope there are no Bingo Wings Flappin about holding yow back!

12. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Have you got a hump on your leathers? They are supposed to ease the drag from behind your lid. I got 170 down and airfield runway with an x spirit shoei, double bubble and a hump on the leathers. It was find tucked in but the force of the air did start to squash the lid onto my face a bit - but then i do have a massive nose...

• Like Like x 1
  13. dan.1moore1

Yeah mine was the same , anything over 140 and my head was taking a pounding, Even the noise was brutal but with the high screen 100% better . Naughty side of 180 now but i was 10 stone at the time, Quit smoking and 12 1/2 stone now so its a bit slower lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It is a pain in the neck........... Never mind.

It seems that the number of variables needed to be overcome with this problem is too large for a single solution. I've tried an identical bike with a double bubble and if it did make any difference at fast road speed, then it wasn't that noticeable to be honest.

Ben Hunter at HPS says the MRA Vario Touring screen is the best solution, but I'd be surprised if it was suitable for "flat out" runs.

I realise that a screen isn't the most expensive mod in the world but who wants to try every one first.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Hi zeepony, no don't have a hump, dainese two piece. It can't be the shoei then. Tis a-bugger this one!

16. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

I think a hump would help. The air behind the lid gets all turbulent and causes a pocket of drag behind it. If you can smooth out the flow of air over your back then i think it would go at least some way to ease the problem.

It may sound odd but you could try a small back pack to see if it makes a difference? In theory it should do a similar job as a hump. But in reality - i am not a scientist!

17. dan.1moore1

I have a hump on my leathers and i was getting a beating . high screen is the answer here. Id put money on it

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Dunno. Have you tried shifting back in the seat a bit so you can get right down? Just need to make sure head is in the bubble really.

19. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

well I was down as far as I felt comfortable with. I'll try it again next time I'm out and make sure I'm flat, if its better, then like the lads are saying I'll need a taller screen. Cheers guys.

20. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I can't say I have ever had this before

I'm 6 4' so struggle to get my chin on the tank so find the best for me is having my Visor behind the screen as much as possible and top of my head really close to the screen so the air goes over the screen onto to top of my lid.

I think it works as the air moves straight off the screen onto my head almost usin my head as part if the screen if you get my meaning.

I find it best to hold your head as if looking down slightly towards the clocks so the wind isn't directly onto the visor but the top of the lid.obviously look up though so you see where your going

I get no buffettin and it's fairly quiet so must work. I feel the breath guard touch my nose though so my lid must be gettig pushed pretty had onto my bracket.

#20 flatstickHRC, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011