Car bodywork - laquer peeling

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by paul-b, Jan 15, 2014.

1. paul-b

paul-b Member

Guys & Gals,

Do we have any body shop experience here?

A bit of background - I bought my daughter her first car after passing her test, it's a 52 plate Clio in good nick considering it cost me £1K.

There's a few odds & sods to be done which I can do, the only thing i'm struggling with is just above the doors on the drivers side the laquer has started to peel so there are areas that are dull with no laquer (only a few square inches in about 4 places) then a laquer line then normal paint work.
    The normal paint is fine and gleams after a polish.

Is there a quick & easy-ish way to improve what looks quite unsightly? Ideally by buffing up the non laquered dull patches and removing the unsightly line where it's peeling?

The car is only worth a grand so i'm not after a top mirror finish job etc and I can't be arsed to spend days & days on it, car colour is metallic black.

Thanks in advance... :)

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the only way is to sand down and re lacquer, you could just lacquer over the top but it will show the line still but not as obvious and should stop it peeling any further.

3. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Ex bodyshop here, The only way to get a finish looking any better than you have, is as Martin says, sand back and prep, primer, base and clearcoat.

4. paul-b

paul-b Member

Cheers guys .... might give it a go and now I can even spell lacquer proper !!