Car buying advice , needed

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Stevie_d, May 7, 2015.

1. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

trying to find. A new car I eventually find one private that's exactly what I want , which is quite a strict criteria . I phone the guy up to ask everything I need to know. Low mileage and mint condition , no curbed alloys etc etc. on the phone half an hour . I then drive 130 miles to find it is exactly how he says. I check out the service history, all the manuals and the bill of sale he has from a garage. I drive it and like it very much. Only thing I don't like is he ain't had it that long, less than 6 months. It's his girlfriends car and they part exchanged a five door mondeo for a 3 Dr coupe, purely as they loved the look of it and thought she could manage getting a car seat in and out of the back for a 20 month old kid. Turns out it's too much hard work for her and she wants another 5 door car. The guy has his own car . I then hpi the car when I get back home to find as he says there's no finance etc on it. Love the car but the only very small doubt in my mind is could it have a log book loan on it ?

Hpi says it would show up on the report I just paid £20 for, considering how genuine they are I'm inclined to believe him when he says there's no finance loans etc or log book loan etc on it. Seems very genuine. Only other thing is I'll have to buy it then sell my car afterwards, I'm told I won't be able to transfer my no claims bonus onto the new car as you can't have ncb on 2 cars. I'd then have to cancel my old car insurance and have none. Which I'm then told if my old car is taxed but not insured I'll get done.

Thoughts ?

2. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Can you get a multi car policy? Is there another way you can check for the log book loan?

3. Abb

Abb Active Member

Cant't help you with the loan side of things, but you can add a vehicle to your policy as a temporary additional vehicle. IIRC it lasts 30 days, so you would have to make sure your car was sold within that period. A lot of companies do offer to match your NCD onto your second car, as long as the other policy is with them too, as above SimonT states, multi car. I have personally done this recently, as purchased a car from a garage and have to sell mine privately, am with swiftcover.com and they have been spot on.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

4. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

That's the problem these days... people are too suspicious. If you trust the seller then buy it, if you don't or have any doubts then walk away. Plenty of cars out there to buy.

5. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

That's the problem these days... people are too suspicious. If you trust the seller then buy it, if you don't or have any doubts then walk away. Plenty of cars out there to buy.

6. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

In terms of the insurance, you can't use the same NCB on 2 different cars, but you could start a new policy for one of them. I've done that with the cars we have. I have 12 years NCB on one and 7 years NCB on the other.

7. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

Really? I have both my wifes and my car in my name - 2 seperate policys from 2 companies (at present but has been the same one in the past), using the full NCB on both.. not sure what Im missing here? I've done this for years..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Usually the rule is one NCD per vehicle. ie You can't have 5 vehicles and use the NCD from one car to furnish NCD to them all. I would have a look at what you are doing, loss adjusters are hot these days.
    Good Luck,
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Maybe it's different if you have a multi-car policy with the same insurer? I have 2 cars with 2 different insurers and was told I could only use the NCD on one policy at a time.

10. rocket

rocket Active Member

i would think that if hpi shows no finance that would include logbook loans, plus they guarantee there results if it turns out to be false info they give you , you get your money back. if it ticks allthe boxes and your happy with the car i,d go for it

11. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

as above i was with swift insurance and asked them to "mirror "my no claims bonus onto my other car ,which they did.

12. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Apparently the hpi check covers log book loans, phoned insurance £35 to swap remaining 3 months insurance onto the new car, then tag the old car on for 28 days. Hope it sells within the 28 days. Could start a new policy for the new car but without any ncb , so it looks like the best option I'm gunna do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Got sick of trawling garages which told me the car they were selling was immaculate , when you get there it's Kerbed alloys , scratches , some woman had 100 keys on the keyring scratching all the steering column. Edge of drivers door chipped. Been opened on stuff, boot been used as a builders van etc etc.
    lots of people don't give a shit about their cars

14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Something doesn't sound right, it's been owned and driven by his mrs for the last 6 months but the wheels aren't curbed.
    Is this possible?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

She only drove to supermarkets that had parent & child spots and drilled it into her about parking far away from curbs lol

16. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

He needs to tell his Doris to man up.
    When mine fell pregnant with our first, I traded a 3 month old hatchback for a 3 year old E30 325 Coupe, under the excuse I wanted a safer car for her and the newborn to be, in the end she somehow managed to get 2 kids and foldable pushchairs in it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Some muppets round here park so far away from the kerb they need a taxi to get from the car to the pavement.

18. Dave

Dave Member

I think that the term "immaculate" differs wildly from one person to another. Have seen it loads of times over the years "yeah immaculate" travel to view and find just average in my opinion.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

Don't buy this car. Buy a Lexus or a Jag.

20. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

I don't like Lexus or jags