CBR600 Forum

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rob, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Hiya all.

I've been considering changing the forum software on here (from vBulletin) to something different. Something that is easier to use, quicker & cleaner and I've been experimenting with a few other options.

The software that this uses is pretty much the industry standard for forums and has been the best in the past. But over the past couple of years other companies are catching up. Mobile devices are becoming more and more popular and will eventually be more popular than PC's for accessing the web. vBulletin have stopped developing this forum software (v4) and have moved onto version 5. But it doesn't look good so far and times are a changin'.

With Ducati Forum (my other forum), also vBulletin, I wanted to add a frontpage news site that posts stories etc that link to the forum. This was an absolute nightmare to program and is pretty much a cut and shut (2 pieces of software running together). Not the best solution.

So I've tried another site, and, if it works and users like it I will upgrade this forum to use the same software.

It adds a news site, easy uploads, a good gallery, is less server intensive and has a good mobile theme by default. All this is part of the package and integrates nicely.

It'd be great if you could check it out, register and let me know what you think. If there is anything you don't like or doesn't work let me know. It'd be really appreciated.

If it works I will move this forum over to it (a big job as there's a lot of content here now). But in the longrun it'd be worth it.

The address: CBR600 Forum. It's very basic right now but hopefully gives you an idea.

Cheers,
    Rob.

2. Si.

Si. God Like

I like this one, I am OCD and I do not like change. And I like the like and thank you buttons on here. I'd you change over, I shall shake uncontrollably for 23 days and my sleep pattern will become irregular, and I'll be put of my food for a short while. And I'll have a dry mouth, and go clack, clack, clack all the while while balking and wretching in the morning time.

3. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Hi Rob. I have had a little look see, and a poke around, on the surface it looks ok, it seemed to load faster and opening and closing your starter threads was much quicker.....but is that because the is less content to squirt down the pipe ?.
    I have no issue either way; we moved from 2011 style to 2012 and got used to it quick enough. As far as I am concerned, it’s your call, you know what you doing and if it brings benefits. Happy days.

4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Heres a grenade.... It looks so similar, and with the content almost the same being the blades little brother.... Why not merge the two???

Increased traffic, more banter and still Honda related sports bikes???

Let the flaming commence....

Ps - more chicks ride 600's than blades, just a thought for all you stalkers out there (giv)

5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I like it, seems smooth on the iNaff so hey why not, got to say there are a good few bugs on this and Ducatiforum maybe not for others but there are for me, missing buttons and unable to type in the post windows of Ducatiforum and others.. Like the interface and image upload of 600 site!

6. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Rob, the fact that this site doesn't have a mobile-friendly display ability has always been a big bugbear with me... the cbr600 forum has a basic but very usable mobile UI... so you get my vote for change.

I'm not sure where you're based, but if there's any way I can assist in creating and/or migrating to the new site, let me know.

Out of interest, is the new site based on ASP.NET MVC4?

#6 GappySmeg, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  7. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Cheers for the feedback :)

It's based on IPBoard (who possibly base it on the ASP.NET framework).

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You see, like I was telling Arthur the other day, I hear all that you're both saying, but what I'm perceiving is:-

[​IMG]

9. Muffking

Muffking God Like

If you do migrate, please keep the Tapatalk plugin as thats all i use.