Changing front fork oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by RedMacGregor, May 12, 2012.

1. RedMacGregor

RedMacGregor Active Member

I'd like to change my fork oil but even after reading the workshop manual I'm not sure if you have to take all the internal components out or not. I was hoping to just remove the fork legs loosen the top caps and tip the oil out into a measuring jug. Then replace the same amount of new oil.

Any advice on the subject and what grade of oil to use would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

On my phone but will give you a quick answer, to measure the level you should have the springs removed and the fork compressed fully to remove the tops you need to compress the sprint to get to the top cap lock nuts it can be done by hand but the right tools is a major bonus, you would need to leave the forks inverted for 24 hours to fully drain and near all the sediment in the forks will not drain unless you strip the forks and clean properly. Oil type depends on what you require, slower, faster or same action for example, stock oil is around 5w-7.5w IMO. The only way of checking the oil tyre is with a viscometer and then mixing the correct oil if you want it bang on. I'm reluctant to use other oil types with stock valves as they don't react quite right IMO Best thing is to have the suss boys service and set them up for you. I rebuild many forks each year but I am not a suss expert like those at Maxton etc etc etc all mine get sent to them and others like HM Racing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RedMacGregor

RedMacGregor Active Member

Thanks Arthur - I was thinking of doing this as a short term thing while I consider some mods by K-tech but I think I will scrap that idea save some cash and go and see the suss experts.

• Like Like x 1