Chinese Quality

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Carl, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I have recently bought a seat cowl for my RR5, a chinese copy. The paint work is not perfect but it looks ok when you stand back and for what I paid I was happy.

Until:

I went for a spin last sunday, maybe 120 miles when I got home and remove the cowl it had been vibrating and has marked the fairing where it sits. I will take it apart and insert washers to lift it off the fairing but for me its too late, for you it is not! If you have recently or intend buying a copy seat cowl make sure it doen't rub the fairing.

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Luckily i had learnt this lesson from a previous bike and stuck vinyl over the contact points .. The paint was actually good on my copy cowl but 2 months later i puled up on my drive , got off the bike and the bloody cowl was gone lol

3. GSP

GSP Active Member

It's not a chinese thing... the genuine article does it on the RR8 onwards lol

4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I,ve put a packing rubber under the plastic hook to lift and take out the slack and have also put washers between the under section and the outer shell. It now fits a little high and is not as steady but it looks ok and doen't foul on the fairing.

5. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

I have put some draft excluder onto the underneath of the cowl. Works a treat.

6. Si.

Si. God Like

Guys, buy some screen trim, and cut it into pieces and stick it around the lip where the cowl fits, it's a guaranteed tight fit doing that.

7. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Si you got any photos of the above sounds a good solution to a common problem.

8. Si.

Si. God Like

Will do tomorrow mat.

9. bladerunner2010

bladerunner2010 Active Member

When i got my OEM seat cowl i actualy got a purpose cut clear vinyl "sticker " to put on the rear of the tail unit to stop any rubbing due to vibration, this was supplied by Honda i presume?

10. dan.1moore1

Yeah the new ones come with a protection and packing out kit.. I had mine at bargain price on ebay so no kit but i stencilled the tail unit and used motocross number background vinyl and cut out a 1 peace protector that sits tight as all the way around giving a tight fit and protection from scratching whilst being very near invisible ( its black on black thou so )

11. Si.

Si. God Like

HERE YOU GO GUYS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The screen trim in thicker and sturdier than the oem supplied rubber bits, and the more you put around, the tighter the fit. Best of all, no more rubbing.

12. dan.1moore1

That does the job