Claims and legal fees

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Nov 22, 2012.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Thought you may be interested in this as one of the many gripes made by claimants and defendants alike in road crash cases is that the only people who seem to make any money are the Solicitors.

About 12 months or so ago, fixed fees were introduced in lower value end claims, well these fees are to be reduced again.

The chances are that before long, smaller or lower value injury claims will only be handled by insurance companies as there will not be many law firms who will be prepared to take on cases where it might mean that they cannot represent the client properly, or they will be handled by non qualified staff (which is already starting to occur)

For the purposes of clarity, the proposals are that fixed fees in portal cases are to be allocated as follows:

RTA claims up to £10,000 - £500 in total fees paid

EL/PL claims up to £10,000 - £900 in total

RTA claims between £10,000 and £25,000 - £800 in total

EL/PL claims between £10,000 and £25,000 - £1,600 in total

EL/PL stands for Employer Liability and Public Liability for those who were wondering.

2. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

hooray ! maybe my bloody insurance will start to come down , probably not the reply you were looking for ,but i have never seen a solicitor that earns less money than me.

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Interesting take on it, but i think the concern is that if youre involved in an accident then you may not end up with the claim that you were hoping for.

4. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

if they didnt keep ringing up to try make me claim for injuries i have not suffered ,maybe they would get more respect.
    i am sure they only have MY best interests in mind, and nothing to do with them making money.

• Like Like x 2
  5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

There are a couple of points to make here. Firstly, in 99% of cases it is not law firms that ring or text you, but claims management companies looking to sell your case (that is of course providing you have had a crash) on for a referral fee, which from April next year will be outlawed, so the hope is that the majority of these texts and calls will cease because the claims management firms will go out of business.

The second point is, that the only people who are rubbing their hands with glee will be the insurance companies because they can contest cases on liability for longer and harder meaning that claimants will have more of a fight on their hands, but because they will have lower fees to pay they will increase their profits because you can guarantee that premiums won't drop when they have shareholders to satisfy.

It also means that in the fast track cases (lower value) because of the fixed fees, you won't have a solicitor fighting your corner but possibly someone very junior rushing the case through to settle as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next one because there is no value on the cases they are dealing with, so it in affect becomes even more of a conveyor belt representation style legal system.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Just knew we"d worse off [​IMG]

7. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

insurance companies dont make any money on motor insurance , they take the money and invest it in the markets.
    they say the main reason prices are going up is because of all the whiplash claims being put in .
    so i dont think prices will come down as such , but they should not rise as fast as they have done in the last few years since the law changed to say that law firms
    can do no win no fee work.
    i know a couple of people that claimed for work injuries and didnt get anywhere near the amount of money that the legal firms made from their claims.