Clutch Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by lillywhites, Nov 17, 2011.

1. lillywhites

lillywhites Active Member

Just wondering if there is a concensus of opinion on the average mileage you may get out of a clutch on Blade or is it just impossible to say.....I've done 13,500 relatively easy miles on mine no issues as yet but will it just go or what????

Any comments gratefully received.......

Cheers......

2. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

Lasts as long as it's cared for. I've never changed plates or clutches on any of my bikes. My RR6 is coming up on 21k and it's as strong as the day I bought it. I can't say that I'm too easy on the clutch either, clutch up wheelies, traffic light races with mates (not that often, and just for a laugh) and all the other hooliganisms people get up too.

Regular oil changes and good all-round care of the bike and you'll get good mileage out of the clutch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tanstair

tanstair Active Member

Have to agree with Viper

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Viper's spot on, my last blade had done 22K on the original clutch.

Un like a car most bike have wet clutch's so they usually have other problems before they wear out.

Just as a matter of interest, my wifes last audi A3 did 163K on the same clutch and was still going well when we chopped it in!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. lillywhites

Cheers guys that's just I wanted to hear......

6. JD

JD Active Member

Just make sure it's all okay for June Neill lol.

JD

7. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

The clutch can do several thousands of miles as long as its not abused with wheelies and tyre burnt outs etc: If and when a clutch starts to slip most DIY owners replace the friction plates and springs and think thats the end of it. A forum member did exactly that and still had clutch slip, when inspected the plain plates were black/ blue and completely impregnated with burnt oil and offered no adhesion whatsoever when replaced JM went back to his stunt work the git

• Like Like x 1
  8. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Depends how much you slip the clutch and how good yer oil is mate. Slipping the clutch will eventually burn and warp the steel plates, causing them to dish and reduce contact area with friction plates, causing em to slip more. If you suspect clutch slip, remove steel plates, put em on a flat surface, ideally glass and see if you can slide a Rizla paper all the way around, inside and out!

• Like Like x 1
  9. lillywhites

That was my reason for asking John......seeing the replies gives me great peace of mind as I love wheelies and burnouts but have'nt got the skill or the balls to attempt.....hard enough staying upright on those Alpine bends..........lol