Commuting on the blade.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by karlpe, Feb 3, 2016.

1. karlpe

karlpe Active Member

Just wondering if others commute on there blade and if so do you worry about milage . My travel time can be much less by bike as well as fun riding to work. I,ve always been the kind that thinks high miles on a bike is bad and kept my bikes low milage. Now over the years I have lost so much on bikes I am actually going to use this one more and enjoy the bike. Less it's raining or snowy or cold then fook that lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I go everywhere on my bikes including commuting, I'm currently doing bout 12k a year on this one & at this rate it'll probably be worth about £2.50 in a couple of years :D but I don't care because the pleasure it gives is worth it:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

i use mine every day no matter what the weather and will do between 10-15 thousand miles this year, i cover it in acf 50 and dont worry about it
    there's someone on here with over 80k on his blade and its still in use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. old git

old git Active Member

I don't as a rule commute on my bike and haven't done so for years. I don't use it for work because it's no fun and I often need to lug tools around so it's just not practical. Putting miles on the bike does not come into it, every spare hour I've got is spent putting miles on my bikes. I tend to keep bikes (and cars) for a long time and get my moneys worth out of them. My main bike is an FJR1300 and at the moment has around 40K on the clock. I'll probably keep it till it's close to 100K as long as it maintains its reliability. The Fireblade is what really puts the smile on my face and while I don't do massive mileages on it, I never ride it on anything other than superb roads and from that perspective it's hard to ever think of what putting mileage on it does for resale value.

6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I’m coming up to 50K on mine and mainly commute into london. Bought it for about 6900 3 years ago probably won’t get 4000 for it now. It probably wont depreciate as fast now.

I spend about £35 a week on fuel, train will cost more than double that(plus I need a car to get to the station in the first place!) , that’s £140 a month so as long I don’t spend that on wear and tear, maintenance, insurance etc I’m quids in.
    Over the 3 years of ownership I’ve spent less cash than having to take the train.

The best bit is I reduce my commute by up to 2 hours and day ( more family time) and have a massive grin blasting into town, money can’t buy that.

You just need to make it more ready for commute as said acf it, put on bungs and casings, protect areas that are prone to wear ie frame, tank fairings, road oriented tyres will keep the costs down, maintenance is essential to keep the wear down especially on chain etc.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Yep, I commute most days on my blade... and no I don't worry about mileage. Owning a bike is more about than just money... why keep a bike low mileage just for the next owner? Use it as intended, then punt it on and buy another ... that's what I do... I generally buy with less than 5k miles on the clock then take them up to around 35k miles and trade in ... the most I've ever lost on trade in is £700, so it's not a big deal.

Heavy rain, snow, ice ... I take the car :)

As the bike gets used a lot it gets washes every week come rain or shine. More in winter if it gets covered in salt, but I tend to not ride it in those conditions.

Up to 17,000 miles already ... bought with 3,500 miles on the clock. Still looks like brand new and runs like a dream :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. andyb

andyb New Member

hi !

my commute is 104 miles per day on my RR8 she has 54000 miles on the clock now and still goes like a dream, i guess it will be worth less than my clothes in a year or too but i think i will wear out before the bike ..

• Like Like x 2
  9. CBR-Pete

CBR-Pete Active Member

I used my blade daily come rain or shine, I don't care about the mileage, it gets serviced when the book says and has oil n filter changed much more then needed. I got myself an old KTM640 now to use over winter, however the blade is used for weekend blasts no matter the weather. Mileage wise I put almost 30k on her commuting in two years also I do a lot of Europe trips which bang up the miles real fast.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

I use mine to commute when I'm working locally, much more fun than driving in and half the time too. Not always possible due to long distance travel and what I need to lug about but I wouldn't be concerned by mileage. So long as it's being properly looked after.

Travelling in yesterday was fun though... got to the office, parked up and put the disc lock on only to discover the left fork seal had completely given up. Oil dripping out of it. Brilliant. Nice stress free ride home that was...!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jjones

jjones New Member

I am in your position. Just sold a VFR that i used rain or shine for 6000 miles (in 7 months) before thinking i want another blade (lost £1.2 on the VFR). My last blade (08) had around 5k miles on it and i sold it at 6.6k after 18 months. I lost 2k on it. This time I am using it for commuting and hoping to rack the miles on it. I would much rather lose 5k on it having put 30k on it than lose 2k having only put 1.5 on it!

Gearing up i don't think it saves me much time, maybe 10 minutes, but it does save a mountain of frustration and it is awesome fun!

#11 jjones, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  12. karlpe

karlpe Active Member

Thanks for replies chaps I will just enjoy the bike and sod the miles. Todays ride was ace, dry roads and about 12c felt almost spring like.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Greco

Greco Active Member

Just enjoy the ride mate and dont worry too much about mileage. This is what i do anyway.

14. Sam

Sam New Member

In decent weather I always commute on my blade, I don't worry about mileage, I bought it to enjoy it and if it wears out you can always buy another bike :)

15. chrisport

chrisport Active Member

110 miles a day, and so far it has been a pleasure all winter (heated grips on a blade...:)). Bought it to enjoy it and make the commute a lot of fun (and a lot quicker). Would recommend a blade to anyone who wants a reliable, fast way to get to work that puts a smile on your face every day. Surprisingly good with fuel..

16. F1CT1C10U5

F1CT1C10U5 Well-Known Member

I ride my blade to work every day, sun or rain, hot or cold.
    She just turned 63.000km (+/- 35km per day).

17. wilbert

wilbert Active Member

I commute to work on mine when the weather is nice. Its 12 miles by car and 30 on the bike!!

18. fireblade_ro

fireblade_ro New Member

I commute on my blade every day... it's about 75mile round trip which involves a lot of filtering/overtaking slow lorries... mines an RR3 on 50k so far. I average about 15-20k miles a year on it and it's been 100% reliable :)

I've even transformed my blade into an active Blood Bike for Shropshire and Staffordshire Blood Bikes... because my own 15k yearly miles wasn't enough for it... Bomb proof bike :)

• Like Like x 5
  19. Wayne_R

Wayne_R Active Member

I'm not a lover of commuting to work. Partly because the route to work is very boring, and all upright dual carriageway, and also because I think it would take the pleasure of riding away in a more social aspect.
    A friend of mine is a police surveillance rider, and he rides everyday on his ZZR1400. But its the last thing he wants to do on a day off with friends.

I could see commuting everyday as a similar feeling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tazmania_1981

tazmania_1981 Active Member

40 miles on commute
    weekedn club rides
    europe trip
    over all 12-15 k a year mos i did in a year was 19.000 and all i do for my bikes is service every 4.000 miles
    after every track day regardless
    and after european trips gets hammered for long time in Germany my gut just says do not leave the oiul change to 8.000 as recommend by honda