Computer spec advice please!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Silverback, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Silverback

Silverback Member

I intend to do quite a bit of videoing from the bike this year and I am about due for a PC upgrade.

I have a local chap who can build a computer to my specification and would like to new machine to be quick and poweful for video editing etc.

I am guessing that like most forums, there will be one or two computer wizards amongst the membership on here !

What would you reccomned in terms of components? I assume the main requirements would be a state of the art processor, lots of RAM and a good graphics card????

I am also looking for some fairly idiot proof video editing and publishing software. Sony do one called MoviEZ which is recommended on the Drift Innovation site. Any comments on that????

Cheers

David.

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

have a search on here as I asked the same thing last year. a few threads about this. I don;t think you need a good graphics card as your not running state of the art games

a few ideas

Recommendations for the Best Video Editing Computer | Videomaker.com
    How to buy a PC for editing video and photos | News | TechRadar

I am running a top end gaming machine but it is about 5-6 years old and my daughters laptop is quicker, I think because of the processor. both her laptop and my desktop have 8gig of ram. but her's is more modern ram.

#2 Remal, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I usually build my own PCs, but I just treated myself to one that would have cost me as much again if I bought it as components. It's not necessarily the most cost effective way to build from scratch anymore unless you're hell bent on state of the state of the art bits.

One thing with video editing is that there's never enough processing power. No matter how fast you build it, at some point you will be sitting infront of it, willing it to render faster.

I just got a quad core 3400 ghtz box with 12gb of ram, a 2tb drive and windows7 for £370. That's not a bad start. It's just for my image manipulation, not quite as hungry a process as video editing but so far, it's handling multiple 50mb images at once without breaking sweat.

Matt, when I was going to build from scratch I was going to use a hybrid SSD drive. OS on the SSD for quick boot up and normal spinny drive for storage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andy

Andy Active Member

Most video rendering software are very CPU orientated, if that's going to be your main use I would recommend a intel i7 chip if you get the series that ends in a K they have their multipliers unlocked which means you are able to overclock the default speed

eg
    Components » Processors - Intel » Intel Core i7 (2011) - Overclockers UK

Also programs are very memory hogs these days so min I would suggest is 8GB, also you need to be running a 64bit operating system to use that extra memory. 32bit systems can only use up to a max of 4GB

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

SSd seems the way forward after a good CPU.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Just a personal choice here, but have a Asus top end 17" laptop, i7 processer.

The build quality of the machine is appalling, the keyboard is grim, and its always having issues, £1100 of dross, sorry, just a real life user view, sounds cruel, but I gave to the wife in the end, she's not impressed with it (or me!).

I have gone back to Acer for sensible price, good performing laptops.

8. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Certainly the hybrid approach, as per Ken's post, whereby os and therefore page file is on ssd, but with traditional hd for file storage, is the big move at the moment

9. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah I agree on SSD, I have two 128gb ones in raid0 and standard 7200rpm HDD, standard one great for loads of storage and SSD for my OS and my favorite games ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andy

Andy Active Member

+1 on the ssd for your operating system, don't go below 128GB as by the time you have put the operating system on and programs etc it's going to swallow a chunk.

Normal TB hdd to store all your movies, music & pics etc

Oh and make your motherboard has Sata 6GB ports to release the full speed of the ssd and USB 3 but most if not all new boards have this now

11. Silverback

Silverback Member

Thanks guys !

12. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

For video editing, make sure you choose a PC with Intel CPU and chipset - they perform a lot better at the task than AMD based systems. Or, even better - get a Mac! You could use a 256GB SSD as your system drive, but make sure you also specify a large secondary drive (2TB+) for storage of those large video files. A dedicated graphics card will also help. Something with 2GB RAM should be fine. Here are my recommended specs:

CPU:
    Intel 4th Gen Core i5 (minimum) OR Intel 4th Gen Core i7 (recommended)

Chipset:
    Intel H87 (minimum) OR Intel Z87 (recommended)

Memory:
    8GB DDR3 Dual Channel (minimum) OR 16GB DDR3 Quad Channel (recommended)

HDD:
    System drive: 500GB Sata3 Hybrid SSD (minimum) OR 256GB Sata3 SSD 70000+ IOPS (recommended)
    Secondary drive: 2TB+ Sata3 7200RPM HDD (recommended)

Graphics:
    NVidia GTX650 2048MB OR AMD R7 260X 2048MB (recommended)

Note: You've not said if the system will also be used for gaming or not but the graphics cards above will be good enough for video editing and lower resolution (1080p or less) gaming. For more serious PC gaming, a better GFX card will be needed.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 1