conservatories (non bike related advice)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by martinowen, Feb 9, 2014.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok guys and girls, I'm after a bit of advice, we desperately need more space downstairs but love the area we live so don't really want too move, we are weighing up our cheapest options we are obviously extension or conservatory. Just need some info from people that have done/got one of the following

1- conservatories... We have a south facing rear garden am I going to end up with a room too cold in winter and too hot in summer?
    How much did your conservatory cost?

2- extensions.... How much should I expect to pay, how much disruption will it cause, anything else I need to consider?

2. dave d

dave d Elite Member

#2 dave d, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

That looks good, any idea if they get too hot etc?
    Anyone got experience of prices?

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Oh and which ever you do forget about extending your heating system, put a Heat Pump Air Con unit in, that way you'll have Heating in Winter and Cooling in Summer.

Prices will be between £1200 -1900 depending on size of Conny.

Done loads of these over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

I have a 3 x 5 meter orange room (sounds very posh) a conservator with brink base and two almost full hieght walls either side. Had the same issue as you Martin move or extended and decided to extend.. Cost 12k 8 years ago which was cheap then, wouldn't get much change for 20 now... But it's transformed the house, we were naughty and done some of the things your not allowed to do, took out doors and windows and extended heating with rads etc but we love it and use it every day. We sit out there all year round!

• Like Like x 1
  6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

So not too warm in summer LC?

7. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Pay a bit more and get lots of opening windows, ours is fine but west facing so has morning sun then it's off about 2.. Doesnt get two hot dont get glass roof or you will cook

8. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

What roof do you have?

9. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

It's a PVC three layor roof, not clear you can't see through it but keeps the heat in and out in the summer. I'm sure better products are available now though even heat resistant glass etc

10. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mum and dad have got an orangey type extension similar to lambchops they have got one small double rad in the room and large sliding double doors and is fine in both summer and winter

• Like Like x 1
  11. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Will have a look into prices I think

12. Andy

Andy Active Member

If you do go down the conservatory route, there are products like solar control roof blinds designed to retain the heat in winter and reflect in summer, if your south facing your certainly going to need something or it's going to be unusable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

We got an orangery built back end of last year. 16 sq m, fully kitted out was 16 grand. 1k per sq m seems to be pretty standard for extensions.

Because you can go up to 4 meters from your house now without the faff of planning permission that's the size we chose, it's plenty big enough to use as a second living room; we spent most of Xmas in it.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The wall on the left that isn't in the pics is a solid brick wall.

Underfloor heating fitted, as you can't attach to the home central heating system without planning ok, super glazed glass does cool in summer warm in winter magic stuff.

#13 Pete H, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

That looks pretty good

15. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Mines south facing so took out opening and added some rads

[​IMG]

16. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Conservatorys are fine if south facing but allow for opening roof windows or roof blinds to keep the temperature down, if you are able to install heating for winter use then you will have a room that you can use all year round.

To have a cold unheated room off the kitchen or lounge that is not heated is not a good idea.

Dont go for anything too big, if it reduces the size of your garden by too much, that could effect any future sale price

Extentions are fine, but aim to increase the number of bedrooms, so increasing the value of your property by a larger amount than extra kitchen or lounge space.

Dont overspend

17. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

We have a sun room.... Not as posh as an Orangery but not as cold as a conservatory.. Basicly a conservatory with a solid roof..Favorite room in the house..:)

18. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Martin, consider also a straight forward brick built extension with plenty windows in it and Velux roof lights set together. I'm a roofer by trade and fit Velux windows also. Here's a couple of pics of a roof I did that made it into the Velux Brochure. It's very effective i think and offers more security and value to the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I like that, thing putting me off extention was loosing light too the rooms it attacted too. I do like that a lot though!