Contaminated rear tyre

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by winggers67, Jan 9, 2012.

1. winggers67

winggers67 Active Member

Hi all , just took the bike out for a spin as its a nice dry mild day after checking tyre pressures etc , and as i pulled out of my drive turning right with a little bit of power on the back end tried too overtake the front , after composing myself and slowing the heart rate down , I checked my back tyre (nearly new but scrubbed in) and found a slippy residue over it. Q , anybody any idea on the best solution too decontaminate it ?

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Do some miles on it - but take it easy!!

3. Hobey600

Hobey600 Active Member

+1, do you know what the 'stuff' is?

4. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Just out of interest what tyre is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JD

JD Active Member

Glad you got away with it mate, that residue is a mystery to me, hopefully someone can give you an answer as to what it might be. Easy does it.

JD

6. JonnyAnnett

JonnyAnnett Active Member

Is it oil, fuel or something like that? Or have you just be unfortunate to run over a wet / slippy patch of road which caused that?

If the tyre has been sat in oil / fuel for any time, i'd be best scrapped.

7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Have you cleaned or lubed the chain since you last rode it? Could have got some lube or wd40 on it! Woulnt be the first to do that.

8. Givover

Givover God Like

Are you sure you've not been in the garage at xmas and had a tug over the back wheel?

• Like Like x 1
  9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

That's where my money'd go.

10. blade65

blade65 Active Member

There I was thinking it was just me that does that sort of thing. A good swabbing with a baby wipe should sort it!

11. winggers67

winggers67 Active Member

LOL , as tempting as it is , thought i,d go for a spin instead (literally) ,
    Anyway been down my local bike shop and the techy's recommended brake cleaner on a cloth which I have done , and gratefully the tyre seems to be back to its usual greatness .

The tyre is the new metz M3 , not my choice , fitted by the dealership when I bought the bike , my last blade rr6 (on a rr7 now)I used 015 front and 016 rear which I really liked but when I change these I will be fitting pilot 2ct's which I really like more so , as for the m3's no complaints really so far, but think I would go for the tyres mentioned earlier.

Anybody with a rr6-7 , whats your favourite tyres ?

12. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

Lol tyres again. Racetecs for me. I ran them on my rr5 road bike rr7 track bike and my current rr7 racer until this coming season.

13. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

FlatstickHRC dropped his bike a few months back because of a similar problem . He had Pirelli's on i think

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, they were Diablo Corsa III's, but he had no residue of anything on them. The rear just lit up on him on a straight. He never got to the bottom of it, which is a bit worrying because A: The guy can really ride. And B: I've got them on mine.

15. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Being an ex employee at continental tyres these are a few contaminants that can destroy the rubber on tyres. Penetrating oil, duck oil,wd40,Engine and gear box oil all ( prolonged contact).Now the serious ones Cats piss,rodent piss & shit,brake cleaner,Thinners, solvent paints,Battery acid,fuels and some TFR cleaners.Any of these stored near a tyre can melt it by the fumes they give off.Rubber clumps sometimes within the tyre then spits out the clumps similar to marbles aka like F1 cars do.Flat spots are also common.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamiestrada

With out trying to worry you anymore ken, they where the tyres I had fitted when I was unexpectedly spat of my R1 with no explanation, really no explanation at all :(

I would never have them again !

17. bladebhoy

bladebhoy Active Member

mate from work dropped his rrw blade on new pirelli corsas taking the bike for a mot, said it felt like oil on the tyre.

18. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Got the Rosso corsas, never had any real problems with them...

19. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I inherited them when I bought the bike and as I not heard of them, the II's yes, but not the III's, I did some research and found surprisingly little about them on the net. What I did find was that they are very much a marmite piece of kit. Of those who didn't like them the main complaint was that until they were up to temperature they were one kind of tyre (scary in the wet) and when they were up to temperature they became a totally different tyre ( grippy like shit on a blanket). I ran this past Flatstick, who loved them despite Them throwing him down the road and he claimed it was bollocks and they were great.

My take on it is that they seem to be a road legal track day tyre and need to be treated accordingly. My fear is that I'm not enough of a rider to be able to feel when they're ready or not. So until I wear them out I don't intend to ride, purposely, in the wet or push my luck with them in the first half an hour into a ride.

20. Jamiestrada

Sounds like a good idea, my off was in the wet (very wet) and I doubt they are bad tyres, but after those with the metzlers fitted I cannot belive how a so called track tyre is so confidence inspiring on the road and track wet or dry :)