Crash bungs advise?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Carl, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I will be fitting a set of R&G crash bungs to my RR5 any advise will be gratefully received.

I have a drill with an attached rotary saw blade, is this type of cutting equiptment the right type?

2. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

Your drill will be fine. But drill the hole as slow as you can as to not melt the plastic when cutting through. You obliously have to check and then double check that you are drilling the hole in the right place. A little tip is to put a smaller fixing bolt in the mounting point with a dab of paint on the end, then refit the fairing so the bolt touches the inside of the fairing and it will then mark where you have to drill on the inside. Drill through with a small drill from the inside, then drill through with the rotary drill from the outside. This is how I did it with no problems at all

• Like Like x 2
  3. barry107

barry107 Active Member

What garyauk said, I placed a strip of masking tape across the area before drilling through.

4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

5. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Fitted with less fuss than I thought it would be. The engine bolts have a hole straight through the middle so nail went through with a touch of paint on the end which marked the inside of the fairing. It only took an hour to fit both sides.