Currys / PC World- Rant

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ukdutypa1d, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ukdutypa1d

Ukdutypa1d Member

My Euro trip write up has been subject to further hold-ups. Damn PC world have had my MacBook for a fortnight now, "call you when it's ready mr lee"

Well, they didn't but I popped my nose in tonight to learn that, yes, it's back. No, it's not fixed. No, we're not sure what the fault is. O' and no, it's not covered under guarantee....

I'm gutted, all my pix, maps & video being held, missing loads on the forum and, after spending a grand less than 3 months ago after trying & returning 2 x Sony Vaio's previously, what have you got to do in the 21st century to purchase a half decent laptop from one of the UK's largest retailers?

Sorry about the rant, but yep, I'm pissey!

Ok i know there are greater disasters in life to be concerned with....

PC World - Nil
    Apple - Nil
    Ukdutypa1d - Nil

2. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Am I missing something here??
    how can a 3 month old Macbook not be under warranty? I certainly wouldnt use the dipsticks that are PC World.
    They are useless with anything Mac, sale man with service plans really IMO!

what is so wrong with it that it cant be repaired!

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

also why returning 2 Sony's previously? I've had no issues with my Sony, Mesh desktop, Apple Ipad's. Did you drop it?

And do you back up all your HD? Was the pics, and trip video on a SD card? did you rip it to the Mac, did you keep a backup?

thats always what I do first?

4. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Why's it not under warranty, mate?

5. Givover

Givover God Like

Little known fact on PC world if your machine is still under the standard 12 months warranty and they have it 28 days and have not repaired it they have a policy that they have to replace it for new .

6. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Not read all answers but don't talk to the divs at pc world ring apple this is what we done with our 2 iMacs really helpful new replacemt there next day . You do have to leave the price on a card of a replacement but just a holding fee . Don't even take to a apple store for a appointment

7. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Sod the guarantee mate, if you bought it only a few months ago its the Sale of Goods Act,

Sometimes it's easier to use the guarantee, but you should make it clear to the shop that you're reserving your rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you aren't happy. Irrespective of how long the goods actually last, you have up to six years to claim compensation from a retailer for a faulty product, far longer than you have under most guarantees.

When you buy goods from a trader or when goods are supplied as part of a service, you enter into a contract which is controlled by many laws including the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended). These laws give you certain (sometimes referred to as statutory) rights under this contract. Goods should be:

of satisfactory quality - goods should be free from defects, fit for the purpose for which they were supplied, safe and durable. Appearance and finish is also taken into account
    as described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them
    fit for any purpose that is made known to the seller - goods must be fit for their general purpose and any particular purpose that a consumer makes known to the trader at the time of purchase. For example if you buy a sleeping bag it must work as a sleeping bag. If you make it clear before you buy that you need it for -40 degree conditions and the trader states it will be suitable then it should be suitable
    You are legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair if goods do not conform to the contract, in other words are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described.

See here; Refund, repair or replacement - what am I entitled to? - Trading Standards Institute

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Just to add if you get it back still knackered and cant get your footage photos etc, try xytron, they do forensic computer hard drive recovery for public as well as private firms etc, they have a place in Poole.

9. Ukdutypa1d

Ukdutypa1d Member

Story of the Sony's.....
    The 1st never left the shop, paid the £30 for PC World 'Know nothing how' to load up antivirus, office software etc expecting to collect 24hours later. After 3 days of twice daily visits to collect, I'm told there's a fault with the hard drive. Deposit refunded and told 10 month finance plan cancelled only to receive a letter from finance co weeks later stating 1st payment missed and I'd collected a £30 prize for the privalege. Thanks

Couple months pass before I decide to try again. Foolishly.

Sony (upgrade model) number 2. Ran so fast I used my iPhone & that went back. Started to get to know all the staff by this point :mad:

Talked into a MacBook by the apple man. Left a bit happier but lighter in the pocket again. I'm bloody great at complaining eh?!

Wicked piece of kit, really pleased. Then took it away on euro trip, never dropped, always cautiously wrapped up safe in 2 x bin liners for safe measure, and (what I thought) the charger packs up. After a few F1 hotel stops in France and several attempts I eventually can use the Mac but only when plugged in with battery indicating 0% power.

Tip - the French don't do much Apple product accessories with the exception of iphone and Normandie cider, please consider this when over there with Macs etc

I return and visit PC world. They try another charger but experience the same fault so off it goes back to mr apple, which turns out to be their experts. Yep

After two weeks waiting for their phone call i pop in to see what's happening. The Mac was back (thanks) unrepaired and was told that the fault was not covered under guarantee. But they couldn't tell me what the fault was. (Possibly the old water damage chestnut) but I got so pissed off with waiting for said manager being on hold making the call for an explanation I told him he knew what I wanted to know and left him on the call. I don't have the time....

So now, it's still there, still no call back....

Thanks for your comments and sorry it's a bloody boring thread but those are the facts.

I'll go back in tomorrow, probably retrieve it and attempt to phone Apple. Failing this, who knows? It must be related to a charging fault, maybe faulty internal battery, but at over £1000 and 3 months old I'm feeling pretty let down. If I have to I'll use it via the charging lead and pay to get it sorted but PC W can poke any further custom. Not a shilling more of mine will reach their counter.

I just hope Apple entertain me a little more. We will see....