Darn it, nail in tyre!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Lock, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Washing the bike tonight and noticed a nail in the rear tyre. Pulled out and Hissssssss!

Oh well was getting a bit squared off after lots of motorway miles. Had done 5,000 miles. Have already got a set of new tyres, so rather than pay for a repair might as well get them put on (bit earlier than i was planning)

Noticed while the bike was up on the Abba, that there were other tiny air bubbles coming out of the tyre, so looked like it had a few slow punctures anyway.

Was going to put some of that puncture seal stuff in the new tyres, anyone used it on the blade? I did on the 600RR and didn't notice any difference with handling, and did see some seep out and seal a little hole once, so was worth it then.

Anyway, glad i saw the nail though, riding with a foreign object inserted in your rear is never a comfortable experience! :crazy:

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

5000 miles ? What tyres are they mate ?

3. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I had a puncture after 400 miles when bike was brand new

Was about 70 miles from home and the RAC were no use at all

As bike was brand new my Honda assistance membership hadn't been processed either

Put some tyre weld in (which covered the rear end of bike and leathers etc) then Rode home on a flat. Pain in the ass

4. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Last week I did three punctures for members seems to be catchy. Wots going on.
    On my long haul tours I take a tire plugger it looks like a Luger pistol with rubber mushroom inserts very effective to get out of trouble. Most tyre places refuse to repair 180 sections or above so have been doing my own permanent vulcanised repairs when needed.

5. Brym

Brym Active Member

5000 miles done well anyway. At least you spotted it at home and it did not leave you stranded.
    Had one in my tyre recently but got away with it, was a reminder not to filter across some of the lanes that have loads of road crap inbetween them.

6. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Nails from bloody horse shoes iv had a few times . 1 was in a brand new rear Michelin and it couldnt be pluged as it was on the edge . Damn horses

7. Lock

Lock Active Member

Tyres are pirelli diablo corsa III. Are reasonably squared off after a lot of motorway riding recently, but still held up well. Had some Diablo Corsa on my 600RR and got 8000 out of them! Trouble when they get lower is they are prone to having little pin prick leaks, noticed one as i was rotating the wheel following removing the nail!

Got a set of Diablo rosso corsa to put on so will see how they go. Will go with the puncture seal stuff as its handy to have in there just for emergencies! Lets hope i don't get a puncture for a while!