Datatool heated grips

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by bladerunner2010, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bladerunner2010

bladerunner2010 Active Member

Fitted these a while back, the ones that switch off when when the engine is off.....................

All good you say

Well I had the bike out for a short blast over a week ago and had my grips turned on, and they work a treat, put bike away and grips show no flashing lights and are cold to touch........... Just as they should be,

Couple of days later I go to the man cave and plug the bike into my acumen platinum black battery charger and lock the door,

Back in today to check things and lo and behold the feckin grips are toasting away,

It would appear that they sense the battery voltage while on charge, even a trickle from a conditioner or the like and proceed to heat up as tho the engine is running.........

So just a heads up guys, if you have these kind of auto type grips fitted and you use an optimate or whatever then make sure you turn the grips off manually whilst on charge or they will probably melt or cause some other untold amount of damage

• Like Like x 3
  2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't buy data tool full stop their alarms are bad enough for killing batteries

• Like Like x 1
  3. OliN

OliN New Member

Had mine fitted on Friday, whilst the bike was in for the mot.Picked the bike up on sat am for my monthly trip from Bridgend to Kent.
    They seemed to work ok going up, but coming back, they weren't right.only seemed to work on the highest setting, even then the right grip was red hot, the left only slightly warm.
    Would the fact that the battery is probably about 6 years old have anything to do with it?
    If not, I guess they are faulty and will be going back.

4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Not as bad as the lad on the 899 Panigale at the Cat and Fiddle - he had fited R&G heated grips (good product) but not wired into a switched circuit - he'd nipped in for a coffee leaving them turned on full.

Was funny walking into the pub - "Is that your Panigale, whoever fitted the heated grips did not do it right, they need to be on a switched circuit as you'd left them on'

Must admit the bike looked superb!

5. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Heated grips & the words superbike go tegether like a turd in a swimming pool....for fecks sake man up :D

6. baccas66

baccas66 Active Member

Not had any issues with mine so far, even with charger on. Although I try to remember to switch them off as a precaution. Maybe a prob with your rectifier?

7. bladerunner2010

bladerunner2010 Active Member

We are two sweaters colder up here than you are down there mate..............at anytime of the year

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

DSC_1042.jpg

On days like these Kentblade they go together like Jeagar and RedBull!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Confused there matey, surely to get the benefit of the heated grips, you need to be holding them rather than your tank.

10. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I was holding the camera - Em was just fed up at that point lol

Without heated gloves or grips think we would have all given up

• Like Like x 1
  11. phantomx0_1

phantomx0_1 Active Member

I have them. A year in not had an issue, love them. Don't look bad either because of there neat design.