Defecting from Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Muffking, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I have a few Mac questions again.
    Been using Windows all my life, but have a house full of iOS devices, so looking to buy a Mac. Been looking at the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro to replace an old laptop running Windows 7 that is mainly used for Excel spread sheets, Word Docs, downloading Torrents (ahem) and printing to my (non Air Print) WiFi printer.

Simple question is, Will a MacBook Air do the job and have they fixed the WiFi dropping out issue on the 2013 models.

2. Si.

Si. God Like

Never had any issues with wifi dropouts myself?

Macbook air doesn't have a drive for cd's etc, where the pro does... Both are excellent though.

What about the iMac desktop, they are not much more in comparison to the macbook pro?

Any will do what you need though.

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Cheers Si.
    I use that many USB drives and memory cards these days that i wouldnt need a CD/DVD drive, but may invest in a large USB3 HDD for extra space as the Air would soon fill up.

Can you drag and drop files to the Mac like you do a PC? As I'd like to keep my day to day stuff on the Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Si.

Si. God Like

yes, depending they are compatible. you will need office for mac if you use word etc. You'll soon get used to it, and a far easier interface than win doze, and quicker.

Besides, if you already have an abundance of apple gear, they all talk to each other and sync together so makes fiscal sense. Any appointments or calendars or reminders, lists, notes and pics can be sent to all devices using cloud automatically, and will be on devices so easier to keep tabs on stuff.

Also, buy a cheapish 1tb external hdd drive for your backups, use this as a time machine to access any lost files if ever your mac goes tits up...rare, but always err on side of caution.

5. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Ill echo what Si said both are great machines, the air is easier to lug around and the pro for the ol disc reader.
    Drag and drop was invented by mac mate so your ok there.
    My wife and I have a pro and an air and never had any wifi dropouts!
    Openoffice is a good FREE alternative to Microflops office if you don't fancy shelling out.

Enjoy your mac which ever you get! :)

6. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Win doze, micro flops, Mac invented drag and drop...

I think the mods need to step in here!

Slow....haha your might have been....lol

Might get a MacBook Air to go with my iNaff ;)

That or a nice high end Dell ultra book :)

7. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

You don't need mods with a Mac mate...it all comes with it! :)
    Definitely get the high end ones if you get a Dell mate, as them ones come with their own key to wind them up too...worth the extra!

BTW Is it only me that checks brand names to see what they spell backwards...try your Inaff for example ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Great stuff, like the sound of replacing Win7 with a Mac Air now. Apple have 10 months interest free at the moment with prices from £849, but are apparently launching a new range in the new year with a 30% faster processor, so I may hang on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. arthurbikemad

Some good deals for Mac book air around ATM.

10. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

Got both, but less problems with Mac or almost no problems...

11. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Think you will also find the apple mac was the first to utilise a mouse and a windoze, icon based workspace but microsoft ehem...stole it and called it windows!

• Like Like x 1
  12. arthurbikemad

I'm just causing trouble mate ;)

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just bought an iPod.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Just an after thought, but although I like the light weight of the Air, should I give the Pro more serious consideration on the grounds of having a better processor and more storage as it's only £250 more?

15. Si.

Si. God Like

I personally would, yeah.

but it comes down to preference, they are both fast.

go to the store and have a play with them, you'll soon decide.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

LOL always love it when that gets mentioned. Apple were only 11 years late to the WIMP party when they stole it from Xerox ;) Apple never accused M$ of stealing the WIMP system, it was just the look and feel they went to court over, and Apple lost the overwhelming majority of the case.

• Like Like x 2
  17. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

Sorry but I only looked in this thread because my poor eyesight read the title as "Defacating". I thought I know windows is shit but that's a bit strong. Sorry to but in, carry on.

• Like Like x 2
  18. arthurbikemad

Old thread time..

Just got a Macbook Pro (i5 256, 8, retina) to replace my old Toshiba notebook PC, like many I have been with PCs from the start, home user, work, gaming and support (Video, print, systems and networking etc) and more, since I got my iPad a while back the tablet has replaced many of my other machine's simple tasks but has kind of shown me I can live with Apple ha ha, anyway just wanted to post that Im soon to add a windows partition to this for the small tasks of PCV etc and other jobs and apps that need to run under 7, anyhow this is a GREAT system it's super fast and easy so far to live with, all just seems to fall into place, its the 13" model.

So far I am so pleased with it :)

Anyone else run dual boot?

#18 arthurbikemad, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

I've got one too.
    Took me a while to get used to but I love it now and wouldn't want anything else...
    Haven't partitioned mine as I don't have a windows CD, but don't really miss it and have an old laptop for the PC5 that I dust off every now and then...

let me know how you get on with putting windows on it and how it works

• Like Like x 1
  20. arthurbikemad

Will do, I'm defo up for a win7 partition using parallels as I have a voucher for it, from what I have seen and read online looks like it works real well and performance wise some reviews say it's better than most PC ultra books, I'm sold so far with the whole thing and it's all rather strange as seems familiar in an odd way, system 7 was the last time I really worked with Mac so it's been a while....lol

Think the iPad has kind of given me a slight head start....

• Like Like x 1