Disabled bikers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Carl, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I watch the bike show tonight and it featured a scheme to get ex bikers that for one reason or another are now paralysed from the chest down, with hand gears and rear break, they have their feet held and knees valcroad (do you spell that like that) to the tank, they are lifted on the bike and steadied whilst pulling away then. At the end of the blast around the track they pull up to a number of guys that catch the bike on stop. It was great to see the joy on the face of them guys, power to their courage, brilliant idea

• Like Like x 4
  2. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah I watched that Carl and it looks like an amazing scheme, well done to those guy's :)

3. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I'm sure I seen this last year, and as you say you could see how much it meant to them.

4. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Nothing like the feeling of piloting two wheels!
    Bloody good scheme, fantastic idea.

5. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Met Talan at RAF Odiham trackday last year. Fantastic scheme they have. Next time we think about charity, I reckon it goes their way?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

There is even a scheme to get disabled non-ex bikers to learn to ride (or road / on track) to experience the thrill / enjoyment of just riding a bike.

One thing at the Bike show today was a worrying number of clearly ex-bikers in wheel chairs / on mobility scooters

7. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

I met one of the guys that started that organisation... he was paralysed from waist down after failing to take a corner and going under a car.

The people that help them on and off the bikes are all volunteers, generally bikers. I have agreed to help for a day in the spring at Castle Combe, if they need me. I would urge you all to have a look in to this and help out if you can... a day spent helping bikers and talking bollocks about bikes, sounds great to me!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Is there a link to this - think as a forum it would be good to try and help them out - be quite daunting for 1 person to turn up as a total stranger, but if a few did even to take pics / make tea etc. I am sure it would be a good day.

9. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Great idea, Antony know of an event around Lincolnshire and I'd be the first to volunteer!

10. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member