Do you ride all year, dry weather rider? or other?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I used to ride every day for 2 years after passing my DAS.

But as it's now just a fun hobby, most of the time only ride say from March till Oct. dry weather , unless I need to use the bike for something planned in any weather.
    Miss riding in the winter but would rather be in a warm dry car when commuting to work

What About you lot?

2. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

All weather :)

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I rode my last bike throu 2 winters and the bike suffered . the salt got to everthing so the blade is now a dry road toy.

I did buy a Supermoto for a winter bike, great around town but asoon as you hit a motorway its pants.

Im currently looking at winter bikes but my car is dying so may have to be a whimp this year.

For those who do brave the elements all year . Respect to you . HARDCORE !

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

+1 on Dan's last comment there. My bike is one of my toy's so it comes out when it's nice out and I'm in the mood. I don't mind the cold, but the last time I rode properly in the wet, I had a Ducati, if you get my drift. You knee down mod monsters are like mythical beings to the likes of me and I worship respectfully at your Daytonas.

5. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

Only form of transport

6. Brym

Brym Active Member

I use a combination of motorbike, car & cycling to work but try to use two wheels as much as possible.
    As for weather I will ride (motorbike) in most things except snow & ice bought my Blade in December and rode it but I had to wash it loads to stop the salt getting to it, the brake line fittings look a bit tatty now but the Blade is holding up to winter better than my other bikes so far.

7. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

All year, all weathers. Avoid ice n snow, but will ride on salt if I have to!!!

8. fisher

fisher Active Member

Just dry days....so not much riding done by me then living in Bloody Wales.

A group of us used to ride in real cold/wet weather, but not anymore, as mentioned the bike gets wrecked, and its not much fun gong home freezing cold and soaking wet

9. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

Just ride in Febraury till October as most of you have said the Blade as with other bikes just rust to bits eventually .....would like another bike for when its not to bad outside but the thought of another insurance road tax, i am afraid is a big no ............sorry mr chancellor you have had enough money from me just now, no need to buy that new house yet

10. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

All year if I have the right bike forthe conditions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On road bikes I ride thru the winter in dry days but having to thoroughly wash it every time to get the salt off it is a lain in the backside.

11. Si.

Si. God Like

All year round..got caught in snow and ice a few times last year though...not good. This winter i shall be leaving it in the garage from Jan till the begininning of march.

12. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

all year all weather - use my blade for fun and commuting.

and if the weatheer gets really bad - i would ride the CCM (that reminds me - really must get that road worthy and MOT'd again)

13. Givover

Givover God Like

I now only ride in the winter if the salt has gone then i would wash it with gallons of cold water (nice) iv'e done all the must get out at any cost ,and worn the tee shirt however the penny has dropped and after waking up and smelling a large dose of coffee its just not worth the stress of worrying if the bikes rotting away because you have missed a bit of salt .(And for all you current winter warriors) remember these suckers now cost nearly 12K so you have to look after your goodies.

14. Carlosoul

Carlosoul Active Member

I ride all year, I of course have the Blade for dry spring/summer/autumn days and a Honda CB500 for rain and winter.

I got caught out a couple of winters ago when it snowed, rode all the way home through it though...

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Every day, all weathers. Crashed twice in the snow last year :) (on a KTM)

16. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I ride all year, no point in owning a bike if you are not going to use it, especially as they cost nearly £12K to buy? Otherwise your pound per mile is going to be horrendous and you might aswell own a boat !!!!!!!!!

17. Givover

Givover God Like

12 K of rust sat in the garage or manic cleaning which i have done (The boat is starting to look appealing. He He!)

18. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I used to ride all year round untill I high sided the R1 in the rain, cost me £500 in parts, a dislocated thumb, some bumps etc.

Now I am a fair weather rider (what a wimp lol)