DVLA...They Got A Cheek !!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by t0m541, Nov 29, 2013.

1. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

As winter is setting in and the commute has the occasional icy day I thought I would tax my other bike, a Suzuki RF600 that has sat on a SORN since getting the Blade, then use it for work as I know it's very tractable in less than ideal conditions.
    Plus a chap at work has just passed his Direct Access and is in the market for his first bike ;)

Anyway as it's only one day till the end of the month I thought I would apply online as usual for the road rent, went through all the usual enter this number, registration details etc etc...
    Then got to the page about 6/12 months....starting 1-11-13....WHAT....I lose a month !! for the sake of 36 hrs....that really is highway robbery :mad:
    Going to wait till the clock ticks down...:rolleyes:

2. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

You can buy the tax now , with a start date for 1st December if you like :)

3. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Not online it seems...tried it this morning !! :(

Unless NT you work for the "agency" and have some insider knowledge ;)

4. rocket

rocket Active Member

if you tax online when coming from sorn you cannot date it forward. you can only do this if your previous tax is due to expire. you could probably date it from december if you go to post office

5. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

I'm just going to wait till Sunday now...!!

6. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

:) :)

No mate , just my own experience BUT I've never done it from coming off SORN only renewal time

7. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

I think that SORN is the difference...bit of a stupid setup really...whoever wrote the software didn't put much thought into the routines :(

8. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Yip, always goes back to the start of the current month when a vehicle is on sorn even taxing at post office! If the vehicle is taxed it can be taxed I think about 4 weeks before current end date but I have never taxed anything early.

I just don't want to part with my cash till the very last minute when it comes to vehice tax!!!:mad: