E5, left standing, recommissioning.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by gentlybently, Jun 28, 2024.

1. gentlybently

gentlybently Active Member

Hi, I've used the search but couldn't find any recent discussion, so wondered what your current thinking and advice would be, please.
    The bike is an 07, I fell off 18months ago, was very shook up and not been near it till now.
    It was parked with half a tank of E5 super petrol, best I could find. I'm currently working through everything and wondered what your current opinions are about the fuel that's still there and recommissioning it.
    What's the best way to get the old fuel out?
    Do you imagine there's any issues inside the tank from standing so long?
    Are there blocking fuel filter issues waiting on older bikes like mine?
    I don't want to unnecessarily break open the fuel system but if it has to be done, sobeit.
    The bike has never had any fuelling issues and is meticulously maintained, by me.
    Back in the day, with proper petrol I wouldn't have worried at all. However, all this ethanol stuff has spooked me.
    What do you all think?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

IMHO - Fire it up and see what happens. If it runs great, if it runs rough you could try just topping it off with fresh E5 and let that dilute the issue and just run it through. However, if it doesn’t run or you want to empty it the easiest is just to siphon it off

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

I bought a Vespa earlier in the year that had been sat for 5 years. I used a hand pump (you could use a syringe and a pipe) to suck all the old fuel out. I had easy access to the fuel injector, so took the fuel pipe off to drain all the fuel. When turning the ignition on it primes the fuel pump, and doing this 3-4 times emptied all the fuel out.

I added some fresh fuel and repeated this until the fuel was no longer a dirty yellow colour.

The bike started and ran perfect first time.

18 months is not that long. I would suck all the fuel out, and refill with fresh Super Unleaded. You should be okay.

4. gentlybently

ok, so lift the tank to vertical and syphon with a longish tube?

• Like Like x 1
  5. gentlybently

that's reassuring, I will definitely get the old fuel out of the tank.
    To break into the FI system I've not yet looked properly, but was expecting to then need seals or high pressure washer stuff?

6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

If that’s your decision - if you think the fuel is that bad then siphoning avoids pulling it through the pump and filter in the tank. Longer the tube the less chance of getting a mouthful of petrol :D

7. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

The fuel system will have a quick disconnect. If you are careful with them (they are plastic), you can take them apart and put them back together.

I'd just put a tube down the fuel tank and suck out the fuel. Wiggle the pipe around to get as much out as you can.

I have one of these that i used:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoze-Extractor-Transfer-Motorbikes-Engines/dp/B08LNJVHFC/ref=sr_1_12?crid=5SO9Q7C5OG9M&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.so8Zi7nArWdh93jguHQHnUj-OlGn7nK8P8Q6oj__5YJjHzGAODR1KYu0WapINTIqS-45v3uSUgr2b0qiaT5wpzidXSyBYH50SR9rOm8BNTvQkFt9wZbky0igTjfwuonRnM-CGUlbPdAGNkezS0miYVKuqgnRmsbGnQpQ6SgN5tG68EhMUtpTe59Rqbim724BoYHlvUOYTelHVqmAcRTdAt4oYD_54WbYrykdLhxcxgQ.ofVop2BCTYsLflKsesbe_FaLUOkTMRPq9rQzwxDVmIw&dib_tag=se&keywords=fuel+suction+pump&qid=1719580891&sprefix=fuel+suction+,aps,92&sr=8-12&th=1

8. gentlybently

yeah, I feel it has to come out. I don't want to drag it through the filter/pump.

9. gentlybently

thank you, I will look for such a quick disconnect. I haven't got a syphon so that looks like a good thing to have.

10. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

There will be a quick disconnect just under the tank btw, if you are wanting to lift it off.

You should be able to find a service manual for your bike (just google for it).

Yeah I use the syphon for lots of jobs on cars/bikes/lawn equipment etc.

11. gentlybently

great thanks. Yes I have a Honda manual, the big telephone directory type, but I was asking in advance as I get to this bit, so haven't looked yet.
    A disconnect there would be ideal, cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

on my tank I have put white marks on the tabs you have to push in for the fuel lines and electrical, It makes it a lot easier to do as they are not the easiest things to see or remove if you don't do it that often

13. gentlybently

Thanks, I've lifted the tank 100s of times and never noticed them. Will look.

14. gentlybently

I've lifted the tank and had a look. Mine is exactly as the Honda parts diagram indicates, and doesn't have any disconnects. The pump discharge is joined by a banjo into the high pressure line to the fuel rail. I've traced it and even the vent manifolding is all without disconnects. All the HP line joins are a crimped metal clip type, not dismountable.
    Maybe the SC57 was different to your model?
    Doesn't matter, I've got my syphon now and can suck it all out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gentlybently

Just used the syphon you recommended, what a great bit of kit, cheers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Awesome. I've had mine for 10 years, and its super useful.

How is your bike running?

17. gentlybently

I've repaired all the damage but still putting all back together. Not test run to look for leaks yet, but should be run by next week.
    Took the opportunity to refresh everything, new tyres, forks and shock back to K-Tech, all the little bits that are a pain to get to.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Sounds good. Post some pics up when you get a chance.