Ebay: am I naughty

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Scott, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Scott

Scott Active Member

I ended somethin that had six hours left and one bid on it. I thought it was mine to sell as and when I like. It was a item that had no Interest for months. So when they offered pick up and cash I said yes. Now the person I let down I told straight away that I was sorry etc. He wants and has given me bad feedback :((((( like I'm really botherd but said would contact eBay and hopefully get me suspended. Now that would be a pain cause I ebay everything. Although surely just start another on my other email address ?

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't you have the right to stop the sale at anytime? As for bad feedback I'd have a chat with ebay and see what they say about it as I've seen loads of stuff ended early and never seen them get bad feedback for it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scott

Scott Active Member

Oh ok mate thanks for that. Il just leave it it's more effort than it's worth

4. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

From a sellers perspective I'm in sps's camp. It's your auction and you can to do what you wish with it?
    :edit: if it didn't sell, can't see how negative feed back can be left?
    Reported yes, but no sale equals no contract surely?

eBay isn't the same as it was from the early days, 'nothing ever is' it was just an auction site, as any other normal one got what the bidders thought was a good price, as a buyer you paid your money and took your chance.
    It sold at the highest bid and you'd be happy with it.
    Now it seems though 'and speaking from personal experience' peeps use eBay as an advertising tool just to get the best price with minimum fees, I got seriously pissed off to be honest when I was trying to buy a track bike a couple of seasons back.
    Winning the auction right up to the last minute only for the seller to remove because he's shit scared it won't or hasn't reached what he wanted for it, stating item removed or sold else where, and then appears on eBay 24hrs later because the buyer let him down.
    So, why not advertise it give or take £50 for what they want for it from the offset? If it sells. Everyone's happy. Seller got what he wanted and the buyer was prepared to spend it.

So yeah, from a buyers perspective I can see why he's pissed off, thought he had something in the bag only to get closed down before everything ended.

But from the sellers perspective.
    Everyone's allowed to have a change of heart, even if it is only for 24hrs ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Bought a few things when I bought a Yaris I contacted her direct asking whats its gonna take to buy it guess im old school if I see summat I like I will contact em direct and if we can do a deal fair enough you do get some saying they will let it run to the end but that's there prerogative sure.

6. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Had it happen to me but I treat it as part of "fun" of buying on fleabay.

7. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I thought you couldn't end an auction that had less than 12/24 hours left to run?
    In either case, if the bidder didn't win then he can't leave any feedback. He also can't leave feedback until he's paid, which I doubt he's gonna do now.

As GaryB says, you'd be pissed off as the bidder, but again it's your item so do what suits you.

In terms of ebay suspending you, it'll not happen for ending an auction early, just be sure you have a legitimate reason i.e. item was lost or broken. Don't think that signing up again will be a breeze though, I've lost count of the times they have shut my ebay or paypal accounts down through linking them with cookies, credit card numbers or my phone number, all because I refused to pay a listing fee for an item that was returned.

8. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I use ebay quite a lot to buy and sell and I never withdraw an item even when it has less interest than I had hoped.

I look at it like this, a person can put on a reserve, a buy it now, or a starting price thus ensuring they get the minimum price they are happy to accept.

If they put it for auction then 'it is an auction' and the highest bidder should win the item.

Of course if there is a genuine reason why something needs to be withdrawn ie gets broken, stolen etc then that is acceptable in my book, but then I am an old fashioned git :)

9. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Tiz Catch 22 imho!

I've seen plenty of stuff I've been interested in ended right in the dying minutes/seconds due to the Seller thinking their item is going to sell for Peanuts and in plenty of cases this probably happened.

However, most ebayers have been 'conditioned' to play their Cards close to their chests and save their Max bid for the dying seconds! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Trouble is using this tactic can and does cause the seller to Panic and withdraw and thus the Smug last minute.com bidder is left well Pissed off! [​IMG]

Ya canney Win! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  10. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Spot on Sinewave, seen some of my stuff go up massively in last 20 seconds and less and I don't usually put a bid in until the dying end. Plus, rightly or wrongly, a lot of people use auto bid sites such as bidnapper which only kicks in at the end.

11. Jkaye

Jkaye Active Member

That's what I was hoping for when I sold the Termignoni can and linkpipe, it had a shed load of wacthers and was sure it rocket in the last few minutes, had a lad offer me good money to end it early, but I declined and it finshed at £180 :eek: and the lad who made me the offer ended up winning it and saved over £100 he ws over the moon and I was gutted, but that's the way it goes :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I use Goofbay to snipe, but mainly I use it as I kept forgetting to bid at the last minute or was away from the necessary tech to bid. I just put my max bid in and walk away. Bid normally set to go in the last 5 seconds so that people don't get much chance to add a new and bigger bid.

13. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

Don't forget that coz it's had a bid and you've ended with less than 24hrs evil bay will still charge you fees !

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scott

Scott Active Member

I wasn't bothered what it sold for just wanted it out the way without dumpin it. In the end I helped someone out and annoyed someone else. Oh well can't win em all I spose. Thanks for ur comments boys
    Next time il say it's broke I knocked it over ;)