eBay USA buying ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jollygiant, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Jollygiant

Jollygiant Member

After a set of oem clocks for the 929 and prices here are stupid but on eBay us they are a lot cheaper ( no surprise )
    So has anybody bought spares from the us and if so any problems etc ??

2. ray

ray Well-Known Member

I bought a set of used headers from a breakers in Texas a few years ago with no issues.

Be warned though, even if they mark the customs form as a gift, anything over £30 is liable for import tax.

The threshold is even lower if it's not marked as a gift (I think it's a £15 limit).

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Only issue is import tax

4. Si.

Si. God Like

Ordered loads from the us eBay, never had any charges.

5. dave d

dave d Elite Member

bought some stuff off US ebay no probs just watch for the weight as it can make the postage expensive

6. jimmy

jimmy Member

bought twice from the states and got hit both times on import duty.
    The other issue I had was that on both occasions the bits I bought sat in the post oiffice until I paid the duty, but I didn`t even know they were there as they never informed me. I only found out because I thought I would just check as I had waited so long for them and the seller said they had been posted the day after I paid for them..
    I dont think its worth it if you get hit with the duty but its a chance you take I guess

7. ray

ray Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of Pinlock inserts from Texas which came to just over £20.

Got a bill from Customs for just over £3, but Royal Mail wanted to charge me an extra £8 "Handling Fee".

Spoke to someone at Customs and they said there is no way round paying Royal Mail's fee which is a flat rate regardless of the amount of Import Tax you have to pay.

He did warn me that if the item is sent rushed/priority mail, Royal Mail charge an even higher fee.