electric bikes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by fez.57, Apr 8, 2012.

1. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Are they really the future ?

1 day the time will come where petrol powered bikes come to an end and another power source will be required but i wouldnt like to own an electric bike and i pray something better comes along

I would like to see hydrogen technology break through a little bit more as it seems a little more appealing

2. tanstair

tanstair Active Member

No they are not the future, maybe a combination of fuels that genarate Electricity which the bike then uses to propel it's self.

But using batteries which store energy that was created using fossil fuels is NOT the way head.

1. Batteries dont last long max 5 - 8 years.

2. Expencive

3. inefficient ( you dont get out what you put in ) also have tendancies for memory effect, they say they dont anymore but they do.

4. Heavy. ( not good for any vehicle )

I could go on but you get my personnal view on the matter.

I do how ever like the hydrogen cell Idea. I just hope they get better than the one James May test rode. time will tell.

3. Smiler

Smiler Active Member

I believe hydrogen is the future, was speaking to techie guy about it the other week at work, he said it's a along way off yet, the costs involved in producing it are prohibitive at the mo...

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Cracking and storing the hydrogen efficiently and safely will probably take longer to sort than making the fuel cells affordable and reliable. But I think it's still the front runner for a proper, next gen fuel source. Or at least until I finish my Mr Fusion prototype and get my hover bike up and running.

5. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

The next generation will be hydrogen but that might not be in our life time. yes the costs will be huge to get it up and running but its the only logical power source around

6. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

As long as petrol engines rule the roost til i'm dead. Hydrogen motors will sound crap.

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You could put clicketty clackers in your spokes.

8. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, lol. Forgot about tha motorbike lolly sticks thingy....

9. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

And a crushed coke can rubbing against the back wheel

10. MrB

MrB God Like

It's one of the reasons I'm happy with being old(er). Petrol should see me out.

Can't abide the idea of electric vehicles for any reasoning. The looks of despondency and despair amongst the spectators during the TT Zero sums it up for me, well from the few who for whatever reason, had decided to stick around that is.

As a replacement not an alternative will it only become dare is say acceptable. I'm sure it has it's merits but to be blunt I couldn't care less.

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a bloody good marketing trick considering how many manufacturers are investing in an electric vehicle for their range, unless the incentives from their respective governments sufficiently outweighs the R&D and production costs completely, as I can never see them selling in enough numbers to be profitable. The great Guardian reading public, for some bizarre reason, believe that the 10 minutes a day that they actually run their Priuses on the electric motor as opposed to the petrol one, usually the bit right outside Jeremy and Jemima's prep school, where they can be seen to be using it, will completely offset the strip mining of some thirld world country for the Lithium necessary for the batteries or the tons of Carbon Monoxide and Sulphur Dioxide poured into the atmosphere by the power stations generating the electricity to charge the damn things.

However, they may be able to survive long enough for science to allow the next generation of alternative powered engines that will let them surf along on a wave of there own overly righteous self worth.

• Like Like x 1