Engraved signs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, May 23, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Need some pointers re getting a engraved sign for a wooden bench we have bought that will be in memory of a old friend who has passed away

In short i'm looking for some form on online engravers what can do a custom sign. there are many online but thought I would ask the nice folks on here if they can recommend anywhere

Also what is best to have it made out of as there seems to be many choices from Acrylic, Brass, Aluminium etc... it's going to be left outside all through the year so I was hoping for something that would last

Budget is about £40

2. dave d

dave d Elite Member

am no expert matt but would say brass is best and you can polish it,wouldnt aluminium weather.
    try your local shoe repairers theve branched out from cutting keys,the 1 in town does plaques dog collars etc
    or might just be a yorkshire thing!!:D

http://www.timpson.co.uk/shop/c/308/memorial
    and theres 1 in chester mate......
    LOL pity your in south west had you down for chester for some reason DOH

#2 dave d, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

cheers for the reply Dave, I looked online and says S Steel, Brass don't weather as well as Aluminium as it has a coating over it to protect from the weather,

I managed to find a local'ish place that I can do it all online and get a proof before I buy which is ideal to I can see what it will turn out like

4. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I'd be tempted to go with Brass too, Rem. Aluminium can end up looking tatty after a while whereas brass can be polished and polished up like new. I sell metal for a living and I can tell you that there's a reason why brass and copper nickel alloys are used in any environment where corrosion's an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

good suggestion Rich and thanks

6. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

What ever you go for it will be a fitting. We have one in Stanley Park In Memory of a little boy who was in our care. 5 years and tarnishing a little but i guess it looks good with age?
    All I will say, try and find something to coat it with that will poison any thieving bastard that tries to prise it off!

• Like Like x 1