'F' it, dropped the blade in the garage :(

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Lock, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Had bikes moved bikes for years and never dropped one until today! Pulled the blade forward from the front, and must have not had it up straight as without noticing the sidestand went up and as i lent it over, got to a point of no return before i could stop it!

Blade on her side in the garage :( - Lifted it up (really surprised how light it is!) then inspected the damage.

Scratched LH engine case, scratch on rear swingarm and bent in gear change. Slight scuff on bar end weight. Could have been a lot worse, that's what i keep telling myself.

Question is does anyone know of a good colour match touch up for the engine case cover and swingarm on the 2007 blade? The scratches aren't too bad, but if i can touch them up will make me happier.

2. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

thats bad luck mate

the swing arm is anodised so very hard to match

3. Givover

Givover God Like

Like you say my friend it could have been a lot worse .My zzr1400 somehow on its own came off the side stand and sort of hit a paste table which was leaning against the walk along side the bike the left hand mirror took the hit and due to the weight of the bike the table give in but had a cushion affect so just a bit of felt tip pen needed but like yours could have been worse Once these suckers go even the Hulk won't stop em. Sorry no paint code but there are plenty of after market covers.

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I done the same when washing my old bike but lucky for it landed on the bucket which saved it lol. When i did actually high side it i had a light scratch on the ignition cover which i tried to touch up but could never get it right. drove me nuts till i found a bargain used but unmarked replacement on ebay.

5. Lock

Lock Active Member

Well it still starts, stops and goes like a rocket so could certainly have been worse! Can't see the scratches when i'm riding so will just not let them spoil my enjoyment. Trying to touch up, colour match might just make it look worse, so for now will try not to tamper! Keep my eyes out for a replacement cover, but unless its new it probably won't be perfect!

Bike will be tucked away over winter, so with an oil change in mind could always take the engine case off and send it away somewhere to get sorted. Probably cheaper than buying a new one.

Anyway - lesson learned, will hopefully not drop it again!

6. fisher

fisher Active Member

Gutted for you mate, we've all done it though so your in good company..!!!

Try this guy, he has a big selection of Colour match paints for bikes

bikepaintermal | eBay

7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Crap news mate, as sais we have all done it at some point

8. leothelion72

leothelion72 Active Member

My old CBR600F got blown over in the wind!!! It must have whipped-up under the cover and pulled it over (found it laying on it's side when I got home from work...), denting the exhaust can and scuffing the mirror. Bugger! Fortunately it hasn't happened to the 'Blade (god forbid).

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Gutted for you too, Lock. It's that moment when you know you've done all you can do and it's still going to beat you.

I remember, years ago pulling my CB550 onto it's centre stand outside my house and the weld on the foot piece snapped off just at the top of the pull. The bike dropped bavk onto the road and fell away from me but took me with it (eight stone dripping wet in those days), flipping me flat on my face in the middle of the road, so I ended up having to replace my helmet too.

10. masher66

masher66 Active Member

Not a nice feeling at all....

11. Jonny fireblade

Jonny fireblade Active Member

Try 1 of the chips away companies for repairs, they are a lot cheaper than body shops and will normally come to your house to do the job, good luck and feel gutted for you, I was moving mine last week started going over pushed against garage wall with shoulder and arm

12. JD

JD Active Member

Bad luck mate, been there, got the t shirt. Re the Engine Casing, why not just buy a set of GB Racing Covers, not that expensive and look really good imho.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Good idea ... probably cheaper than buying new cases and functional swell

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Gutted for you, mate. I read your thread yesterday after coming in from painting the garage, then went out to wheel the bike back in with the stand down, not noticing that I grounded it and pushed it back past the lock out. Went to lower it and it kept on going until it wedged, luckily, on my knee. And all I could see was your post, in lights, against the wall, like something out of the old testament.

The RG covers are a good idea, I think they're about £140 a pair.