Fairing bolt locations?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by DVK 66, Jul 2, 2024.

1. DVK 66

DVK 66 New Member

Hi All, I swapped the crap ebay indicators over to some OEM copy's the other weekend, I discovered whoever has owned the bike previously was a cowboy, the coolant tank wasn't even attached and was under the min level, Stevie Wonder had been at the wiring and all the bolts were mismatched etc. So I ordered some new bolts and fasteners. the manual is a bit basic when showing fairing removal, is anyone aware of a better breakdown showing which size bolts go in each location? bike is a 2007. Thanks in advance of any help, DSC_0279.JPG Davey.

2. DVK 66

DVK 66 New Member

And just to add, the flasher relay is an aftermarket LED type, anyone know which one will fit for bulbs? IE years and different models etc. I can only find LED on ebay. thanks.

3. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

I can let you know what goes where, let you know later

• Like Like x 1
  4. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

The smaller headed bolts tend to be for the sides and top of fairings. The larger ones tend to be belly pan fasteners. Just a guess and from memory! Trial and error really isn't it ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

On mine the plastic fittings go on the bottom of fairing then small headed bolts go in recessed holes and larger headed into flush jointed panels where the threaded holes are rubber mounted if you know what I mean, but I don't recognise the plastic fittings you have in the bag and some of the bolts should have a none threaded shoulder for the recessed holes .as Paul says trial and error.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DVK 66

DVK 66 New Member

Thanks Mark, that will help/give me a start, when checking the description listing on the pack, it's also for a 2004/2005 model and their fairings have the horizontal line so may have more bolts? Appreciate your time and help, bolt tetris incoming! regards Davey.

7. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

@DVK 66 if you're really puzzled you can sometimes see which bolts go where on exploded parts diagrams.
    I use either the Lings or Fowlers websites.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

9. DVK 66

DVK 66 New Member

Thanks Paulo, appreciated.

10. DVK 66

DVK 66 New Member

11. gentlybently

gentlybently Active Member

If you are near Manchester, I have a few 2007s that we can remove each fastener and compare to what you have.
    It's easiest to start with where the longer ones, with a washer that sit over a grommet, that must be needed due to the location, like the tank cover. You'll find Honda bolts are the exact length to engage with the ally part, that gives the game away.
    Then the stepped shoulder bolts are to go through a fairing part, so the plastic isn't crushed, so that's another group.
    So there's two groups, with a grommet and with a stepped shoulder.
    The plain bolts, like on the lower and top ledge of the side fairings, are to be run into a bonded nut in the joining part. These are found on the frame brackets and the lower side fairing.
    I have sourced replacements for the bonded nuts (Honda has a name for them but I've forgotten) and the push clips around the radiator cowl, under the front fairing, on the under belly, and on the side fairing top. They are a fraction of the price of OEM and work very well.
    I buy OEM mostly but the fairing fixings are exorbitant, imo.
    It's confusing I know, I recall there's 42no. individual fixings on the '07.
    If stuck I can take a picture of any from a particular location.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DVK 66

DVK 66 New Member

Cheers for the offer gently, that's very kind. I'm in Newcastle so bit far too travel, my fairings are not fully off, just enough so I could reach the indicators, problem was whoever had them off previously must have used used any bolt they had lying around to put them back on!. thanks for the info it should help, and the offer very much appreciated. regards Davey.