Fao arthurbikemad

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Fanblade1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Fanblade1

Fanblade1 New Member

Hi Arthur, can I pick your brain please? For reasons only known to the devil himself, I selected 3rd then 4th then 3rd AGAIN!! At 12k rpm and appx 145 mph Doh!!!!

Rear felt like it locked and squirmed, so clutch in and back to 4th, 3rd gear then very noisy on way home.

All other gears quiet, 3rd unrythmic noise so short shifted 2nd to 4th, no noise.

I've removed the cassette from bike (RR6) expecting to find damage like martins, alas nothing, oil ok no swarf, removed sump no bits there either, all the dogs on the rear of the gears are intact, and all 3 selector forks appear to be ok.

I can rotate the drive shaft freely and turn the selector drum from 1st through to 6th with no noise but obviously with no load on it,

My question then is this " what's making all that ******* clatter !!!!!"

Help needed pleeeeeease

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Hi mate, I think I did read your "race shift" incident? anyway so you have the gear box out and inspection shows nothing? IF its like you say and I'm sure it is then you will need to look closer at the third gears, when I say closer you may need to jig up the gears and use a dial gauge to check them, also measure up each gear in question and check tolerances against the service data, problem you have is any alignment issues will be so small you will not be able to see them with the naked eye. IF you wanted to splash some cash you could seek out third gears and rebuild the cassete with the new gears but I'd still want to measure up.. Not an easy job tbh mate as service data can often get people in a muddle... :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fanblade1

Fanblade1 New Member

Thanks Arthur, really expected to find some obvious damage, will carefully reassemble and retest also carefully!!
    If she's still noisy ill source a Used box and try to remember which way to change up !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Arthur would any parts from mine fit this?

If I can send any parts to help I will

• Like Like x 1
  5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I don't see why not, the input shaft is different lengths from 4/5 to 6/7 but afaik that's all, BUT always worth checking if its going to cost... can't remember what gear went pop in yours?

6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

4th on mine mate