Fire blade Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Movistar, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

Hiyah guys

About to trade my cbr600rr Movistar beauty in for an 08 plate blade, I have seen a few stories on t'internet about bad corrosion around sump due to salt water causing alloy bolts and magnesium sump to react causing pittings and oil leaks.

So I guess what I am asking is how's your sump

Examples here of some bad ones

Attention Fireblade RR6 or RR7 owners

2. vino

vino New Member

I've got an RR-8 & haven't had any issues at all - although I am 'Mr. Fair-Weather-Rider'.

Be aware that 08> Blades do like a drop of oil though. Mine drinks a litre of Castrol Power 1 Racing engine oil every 1,000-1,500 miles - but that's common. Some less, some more. Something to do with engine design & piston rings etc. (not really sure).

3. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

Cheers dude, take it there is an oil indicator light somewhere on the clocks? Not sure if its an rr7 on an 08 plate

Thinking about it it has an underseat exhaust - were the rr7's last to have this?

4. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Yes, they changed to a sideslung exhaust in the 08 model - so unless you find a late registered bike, the RR7 will be the last underseat exhaust model.

I'm sure there's going to be a low oil pressure light in the clocks - but you don't want to let it get to that point ;)

5. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

I am a complete noob technically dude, how else do you tell if oil is low? My cbr600 doesn't have a spyglass you can see only an oil low light so I assume all is well.

6. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Get the bike straight and level, by either supporting it yourself or a block under the sidestand. If you can't do this, a paddock stand is fine as the majority of the movement in the sump is from left to right as it were, not back to front.

Then follow the instructions in the manual as some vary slightly (check engine after running, screw dipstick all way in etc) but a general rule of thumb is:

1) Wait a while if the engine has run, to allow oil to settle in sump
    2) Remove dipstick and wipe clean
    3) Re-insert dipstick, check oil is between min and max markers or in "hatched" area of dipstick (see manual)

Do not overfill as this puts seals under increased pressure and eventually you'll have oil peeing out of the engine. Fill to the max marker or just under.

HTH :)

7. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

It'll have a screw cap Oil Dipstick if there's no sightglass mate, never had a 600 mind. But it must have one or the other!

8. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

Quick google tells me what I need to know

#8 Movistar, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

Oh and one more thing one assumes if you do not know what oil was put in you ought to drain the oil and refill with new rather than mix?

10. vino

vino New Member

Yeah, every time - you never know. I've a convert to Castrol Power 1 Fully Synthetic, but it's personal choice I guess.

11. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

Just found the spyglass lol, tucked right under the oil housing, can be spotted through a gap in the fairings

12. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

dump the oil mate. every time i buy a new bike i change the oil and filter . you never know whats in there , how long it has been in there if there is much in there at all lol

13. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Remember reading an article a while ago with a chemist from Fuchs (make Silkolene etc) and he said that mixing small quantities of THE SAME GRADE was fine. Having said that, I'd change it if it were anything other than just the odd top up. An extra oli change never hurts :)