Firkin toe rags

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Barstewardsquad, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Some pond life seems to have a death wish. For the 3rd time now someone has damaged a lock on our gate. They haven't managed to get in yet but this time they have fooked my Kryptonite New Yorker D Lock and I think Super glued it for good measure. Am going to have fun removing that as it is toughened and designed to resist bolt croppers etc.

Short of getting a stihl saw on it does anyone know of an angle grinder cutting disk that might stand a chance of doing the job?

In the meantime I am checking the cheapy CCTV cameras we set up, and look into getting some alarm mines. Wish I could get away with connecting the mains to a lock :mad:

2. Givover

Givover God Like

Still saw is the answer and then a proper CCTV system they must be really good now its only a matter of time .Looks like they will superglue it again and again until you give up and put a cheap lock on then Bingo .

• Like Like x 2
  3. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

if you can't put mains, put a car battery on it, that'll do the trick, or just sit there with a taser and wait, and wait and then zap!!!

bloody bastards, like Giv said, they're just waiting till you give up

• Like Like x 2
  4. Andy

Andy Active Member

Unbelievable they sound extremely determined to get in, it would be great if you could get hold of a big Rottweiler or German Shepard and put a cheap lock on and let them get in.

Just have to make sure the cameras were rolling to have a laugh at the footage later

• Like Like x 2
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

You could get something to dissolve the super glue. I think you can get stuff to sort it, but thinners or xylene would be my first tries. The best way to protect an entry lock is to defend the lock with a metal box, then you only need a cheap lock. Think of the locks on 20' steel containers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Acetone will dissolve superglue, fill a bowl put the lock in, should be gone in an hour or so. Saves buying a new one.

• Like Like x 4
  8. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Claymore anti personnel mines work well and they will think twice scratching their head with a stump before trying it again :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

PM Arthur about CCTV mate its another of his many talents.
    He's like that kid at school that good at everything!
    Fecking makes me sick!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Another thing you could try is smartwater. Plaster it on the gate/ lock or wherever.
    https://smartwater.tv/Pages/GetAQuote.aspx?cat=personal

It's unlikely that your perp isn't robbing other places and you never know but they might just get picked up for something else, and if they get checked at custody for smartwater you could have them for attempt burglary next time they try yours.

• Like Like x 2
  11. arc76

arc76 New Member

i have had this problem in the past , they will keep on trying till you put a crap lock on , dogs dont always work as they drug them with laced meat you can get into too much trouble with the old electric thing but what i did and it worked but did piss of my neighbours was i got hold of a crow scarer and the old man rigged the thing so it went off when gate was breached , we taped the lot and dropped a copy with the old bill, they came and looked at my garden but we got away with the crow caboom device as we a couple of rabbits and said it was thier to ward off foxes , the rabbits were next doors who calmed down when i took them to the village pub for sunday lunch. Or maybe get oscar pistorious in as a lodger ?

12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Well we have replaced the lock, with another decent quality one so will have to see what happens. Have CCTV in multiple places now, not the best quality but good enough to figure out who it is. If that happens then I'm sure that as the saying goes "they will live in interesting times" ;)

Cutting disk worked a treat and I had the lock off in next to no time :D I now have a new favourite tool, well the plasma cutter I used back in the 80s is really my favourite but I don't have one of them lol

Added bonus is that Kryptonite have said they will honour their lifetime warranty, and as long as I send the lock back with the keys they will send me a new one.

13. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Am currently on the lookout for some alarm/salute shotgun cartridges for sale in the local area. Foxes and badgers are a real nuisance out here in the sticks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

How about adding one of those alarm/padlocks? They're not great quality as a main lock, but will sound off when someone fiddles with them.

15. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Considered it but all the ones I saw looked like they wouldn't cope with our lovely winter weather. Am ok for this week though as national rail are turning the road into a car park from 8pm to 7am all week ;)

Hopefully we will have the annex rented out soon so will have another pair of eyes and ears.

16. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

How about a pound of plasticine :eek: type material wired to an old mobile hidden away on the bike, preferably in or under the tank.
    Then if the scumbags ever did away with the bike...then ring ring ...oops.....spoiled their day..

You wouldn't get the bike back obviously, but the knowledge that they wouldn't steal another bike ...ever... ahhh
    and that you would be saving the police the effort of looking for it too, the fire brigade would have found it for them