First photography image published, and the paper ruined it!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Alblade, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Sent an image for 'Photo of the day' to Manchester Evening News and it was published today - what is a shame is how badly they cropped it taking the impact / main element of catching the sunshine on spire only from it , or making it look like I was rubbish and chopped it off!

Original (slightly cropped)
    IMG_20150116_203344[1].jpg

How it was printed in the paper:

IMG_20150116_205702[1].jpg

(fingers crossed the forum puts them right way up, if not I'll amend in a bit)

Attached Files:

#1 Alblade, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Al don't worry mate no one believes what they read in the papers unless its reaffirming what a twat Ed Miliband is.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

good on getting a pic published and shame they screwed it up so badly

4. mikegml

mikegml Active Member

Had lots of pics published over the years and papers, but less so magazines often crop crudely. You might think it was 'art' but they think it's just a picture to illustrate something.

That said as this was 'picture of the day' you'd have thought they'd would have not cropped it as they did.

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done Al. Love the lighting.

Alas, the role of picture editor on local rags has gone the way of all flesh. Once a man to be feared by the aspiring professional phot. News articles used to be built around the image, now the image has to fit into a gap left by lack of content.

A good picture editor would also see the necessary crop that the photographer may have missed and often chop out the content that distracted from the impact intended. Sadly, at least in provincial newspapers, no more. Our local paper is assembled somewhere in the north, by people with no idiomatic knowledge of the region it represents, rarely gets it right.

I still like to think of myself as more of a editor than a photographer. It gets me lots of work judging competitions, but can make you as popular as a fart in a space suit.

6. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Looks pretty flash for a Harvester Al, most look like converted pubs around here