Fitting new front pads to 07

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by stev1456, Jul 30, 2014.

1. stev1456

stev1456 New Member

Could anyone give me a breakdown on how to fit new sets of front pads to a 07 Blade.
    Never fitted before and obviously don't want to mess it up.

Thanks

Steve

2. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Not advisable for a novice it becomes a safety issue Steve, if you wanna pop into Orpington not a million miles away will show you how and a few other tricks.lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. StanleyRR

StanleyRR New Member

Obviously get some one to help if your unsure but heres a run down, oddly just did mine on Tuesday lol:

- Take the 2x phillips screws out the brake reservoir and remove the cap. There's a plastic cover with an X on and a rubber bung in there also. Be careful not to drop any brake fluid on your paint. Also put them somewhere dust and dirt free!
    - Loosen off retainer pins via the allen bolt x2 per calliper (Easier then cracking them off with the calliper loose)
    - Remove the 2x bolts connecting to the fork leg
    - Pull calliper back then tilt away from wheel to clear the disk. You can leave this hanging if you like.
    - Remove the loosened retainer pins, you will need to push down on the metal lever holders to safely remove the pin x 2
    - Pads will fall out, remove the metal backing pad covers x2, note the shape!
    - Push the pistons back into the calliper, good opportunity to squirt some brake cleaner in there and you can make sure the pistons are moving freely. When you do this keep a close eye on the fluid level in the reservoir as it will rise up when the pistons are pushed in.
    - Get new pads, apply some copper slip on the back of the pad, not too much, fix metal backing cover and add some more copper slip (Dont get on the pads!). The metal cover needs to be facing UP, will make sense when you see it as its the larger mass side of the cover.
    - Holding the calliper drop the pads carefully into the old pads came out, you will hear and feel a little click once you push them into place. To make things easier stick some rolled up cardboard between the pads to keep them apart while you fit the retainer pins.
    - Place the retainer pin in the hole, it should clear the first pad hole. To make it go all the way push down on the metal lever so the pin slides towards the second hole. You will know its there when the thread meets the hole. Apply this action to the second pin also.
    - Tighten up but dont lock the retainer pins just yet
    - Refit calliper reverse of how it was removed, carefully not to scratch your wheels.
    - Refit the bolts to the fork leg. Dont put too much strain on the bolts or you will split the thread on the fork leg, tight and a quarter turn is more than enough.
    - Tighten the retainer pins
    - Do the same on the second calliper.

Some pads need bedding in, follow the advice on the packet/website. I use SBS Street Sintered which I think a few people on here do. No bed in and excellent bite (Even on track). Good luck mate, any questions just ask.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stev1456

stev1456 New Member

Thank you very much indeed for your advice.

Gonna think about whether trying it myself or letting a pro do it.
    If i change them myself, i will follow the above instructions

Thanks guys

Steve

5. StanleyRR

StanleyRR New Member

If you're unsure you could always get someone along to supervise you mate. Do it once and you'll never forget :)

• Like Like x 1