Front brake

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by tonyblade, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Has anyone had any experience of (uneven) braking when coming to a stop? That's the best way I can describe it really, when braking from about 20 mph or less it feels as though one fork is compressing more than the other or one calliper is biting more than the other? It just doesn't stop as smoothly as my rrw did. I've checked that all adjusters on the forks are on the standard settings, so am at a bit of a loss. It's a new blade with 1k on it all standard discs and hoses. Any thoughts lads?

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I would bleed the brake lines to be sure there is not an air bubble trapped half way up one of the lines. Have you recently fitted braided lines by any chance ?

3. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Cheers dan. Now that's a good idea, no all standard, it's an easy enough one to try so will bleed them tonight. Thanks.

4. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

I know you said 'lads' but I'm gonna jump in anyway ... what about a slightly sticking piston that when you brake harder has no problem moving .. I would clean the calipers

5. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

I'm so sorry nutty! I never knew or( thought really ) that ladies might be on here! My appologies. Suppose it could be but it's brand new, I'll bleed them first then if no improvement I'll clean them thanks.

6. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I know this might be a bit too obvious but is your bike an ABS model, as could it simply be the ABS unit pulsing and being a new bike you not being familiar with the feeling you get!!??
    I'm not trying to suggest your a numpty or anything so please don't take the above as that!!

I only really suggested this as i read a magazine article a while back say that garages get thousands of cars being brought in each year with faulty brakes for it to simply be the ABS working and the driver thinking the brakes were faulty.

#6 Andrew, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

No offence taken Andrew. No it's none abs and for it to pulse it would mean the abs has kicked in eg lock up situation. It's just as your breaking, , firmish.

8. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Thats alright then, it always a bit awkward on a forum as you never really know how old or experienced or mechanically minded other forum members are!

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Check your suspension settings are the same on each fork.
    Check your fork oil levels are the same in each fork.
    Check for warped discs.
    Check the caliper pistons are free to move.
    Change the pads.

10. scratcher

scratcher Active Member

Dude with a 2011 bike take back to the stealer.....Thats why you buy new.

#10 scratcher, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Givover

Givover God Like

Agreed. And just for the record i have the 2011 Abs which brakes fine.

12. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Thats OK tony ... you're forgiven .. :boink:

13. quattrochris

quattrochris Active Member

Dont know if the sensation you feel may be related to this:when coming to a stop say 15mph and below, i can feel the rotors moving on the floating pins, kind of feels like a pulsing or knocking through the front wheel, but only as you come to a stop. My bike is the 2007 but only has 3200 miles from new all standard brakes etc.
    My mates brand new BMW S1000RR does the same thing.

14. quattrochris

quattrochris Active Member

If it really is more of and uneven feel say left to right you may have some brake pad contamination on one side? could just try brake cleaner on the pads?

15. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

On mine I could feel a knocking thru the bars on certain surfaces at very low speed like just before stopping at lights on shell grip or poor surface. It did it from day 1 when it was brand new.

I checked the head bearings, disks and pads and forks etc and all were fine. I put it down to the pads moving inside the galilee slightly. When the brake is applied hard it wouldn't do it as if the pads where being held more firmly.

16. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

I'm maybe being paranoid I don't know, I'll give the pads a spray with brake cleaner and see how that goes, just before coming to a stop it feels like the bars are being pulled left, and it's not the road surface.

17. GSP

GSP Active Member

My 2005 600rr used to do this, it was horrible, and a common occurence with floating disc. It used to happed to me when braking from high speed, the last 15mph (if coming to a stop) would feel juddery.

I used to find cleaning the disc and floating washer, making sure they turned easily, would solve the judder for a short while, then they would get dirty and dusty and it would start again. Not experience it on the 2009 blade though.

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Did you check the comp & rebound settings just in case they're not matched left & right?

19. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Hi jm1, that was the first thing I checked as that's what I thought might be the problem, I never checked the Preload adjusters mind.

20. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Fork oil levels too?