Front Tyre keeps wearing one side more than the other

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Devil, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Devil

Devil Active Member

Looking for abit of help here, I have the 07 HRC Blade and have noticed on the last 3 sets of front tyres (Bridgestone 016's) that the right side of the tyre as you sit on the bike has worn more than the rest of the tyre creating a kind of ridge just off the centre of the tyre. So you can imagine what its like turning in on that tyre once you come off that ridge, it just drops you down real fast!

I've not been doing the roundabout trips as I have done before so I know its not that that is responsible for the odd tyre wear this time.

I am thinking tracking and my next step is suspension? If the tracking was out I would have thought the rear tyre would show an unusual wear pattern too but its fine and never had a problem with it.

I am a fast road rider and hold a track record so I can definitely ride the wheels off the Blade and im wondering if it is down to something that I do when riding flat out and that is when going into a corner from a flat out burst I brake going into the corner "backing it in" or near as to and im better at doing this going into a right hander than on a left but not by much so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated my fellow Bladers! :D

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I always thought 'Backing it in " was power sliding / Drifting the back wheel into a bend. If im correct then Respect to you sir. Looks awesome on video

3. abv

abv Active Member

This is normal. It's down to roundabouts, even if you don't go roundabout surfing you still use them and the camber of the road.

The road has a crown in the centre so even riding in straight line bolt upright you are effectlvely slight leaning to the right.

If you prefer right hand bends (I think most righthanded people do) you may be pushing harder in those which also contributes.

4. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

Which track do you hold the track record for?

5. Devil

Devil Active Member

Cheers guys and funny you say that abv as I have just had a similar conversation about when riding in a straight line how sometimes you notice that you are at a slight angle as if being caught constantly by a side wind.

So im assuming then that as we all use roundabouts at some point or another that we all at some point suffer the right handed ridge effect on the tyre to a degree? I exit a left handed corner flat out using the tyre to its max or to where it tries to spit me off but I do enter a right hander slightly faster so your probably right about the right getting used more thoroughly. Hmmmm gonna have to think about this as that damn tyre has loads of tread on it left to be used.

What's people's thoughts on the tyres that they find best for the Blade? Your help is much appreciated guys, thanks. :)

6. Devil

Devil Active Member

Hi slowr1der, it was not so much a track record but a record for the fastest student that the instructor at the Ron Haslam Race School had ever taken round and presented me with a race on a session that was not part of the experience and I only lost by half a bike length. I did use the excuse that I am over 14 stone and a power lifter and he was a stick insect!! :-( I managed to get some track time though with a Moto 2 rider and of course you have to have a go.....and there's a reason they do it for a living and we watch on TV coz damn he was super fast!!

7. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

Well done on that mate, i see you are not far from Reading you should come and do trackdays with the little crew we are getting together on here. Check out the Odiham threads.

8. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

9. fisher

fisher Active Member

I'd be interested to hear what gear you use to spin the back wheel up while backing it into a corner

10. flatstickHRC

Backing it in or firing it out of corners 'taking the tyre to the max' as you say won't wear out your front tyre. All backing in means is where he back gets so light and the front slows faster than the rear so the back end tries to overtake the front in effect.

The roads are heavily cambered In The UK to drain rain away etc so even though your going straight you are probably leaning more to the right to compensate for the road pulling you into the kerb. I would think thats your problem.

11. Devil

Devil Active Member

I fitted a slipper clutch to the bike, use mainly second gear while using abit of back brake and a shit load of front, can't always do it and it does scare the crap out of you when it does happen. Since the tyre problems though im thinking no more. I did also crash once while trying to do it and wrecked the old ZX10R! Thanks for the info on the tyre issue. Also thinking of changing the tyres what does everyone else run?

12. flatstickHRC

the new dunlop sportsmart or michelin pure or metzeler interacts seem the best tyres at the minute.

not really a bad tyre out there at the moment TBH

ar you runining the right tyre pressures? seems strange that you are chewing a front tyre up at road speeds. maybe theyre too soft.

usually if a tyre is getting chewed up or wearing badly its either down to poor suspension set up or wrong tyre pressures

13. Devil

Devil Active Member

That sounds like it to me too pal as I can't find another explanation, so im assuming others have this same issue then, its annoying as im in effect ruining my tyres and not being able to make the most of them for the duration of the whole tyre life as this begins approx 600 miles into the tyre wear. Cheers for your info mate. :thank_you2:

14. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Come to think of it my right side rear wears more than the left . I just thought i was better at turning right lol. Its nothing major thou, just slightly more bobbling on the right

15. Devil

Devil Active Member

Not just me then, that's good to hear but still annoying! Cheers mate

16. Bats

Bats Active Member

Basically the blades forks are ok for a 12 stone rider and even then they need stiffening for the road! i say get your folks sent to maxton 400 notes.. make sure you set your sag and get that rear shock stiffened up then see what happens worked for me on my 07 and defo next mod for me new un ;)

17. Devil

Devil Active Member

Cheers Bats, I am quite hefty bud so shall consider this, weighed myself this morning after a heavy session and touching the 15 stone mark. :) Cheers again pal

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Commonly known as a skid! :):):)

19. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Sorry I also meant to say that I agree with the road camber explanation.

20. Bats

Bats Active Member

No prbs mate! yeah i am 15 stone without the bike gear on eeek!!!