Front wheel does not spin freely

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Dougie M, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

Hi Guys

I have just got a 2010 abs blade, all is great - the only niggle is that the front wheel does not spin freely when up on the stand, like the brakes are on slightly stopping any rotation.

Braking under normal riding is totally fine, but I am concious that the brakes are rubbing on the disk all the time.

Is there a way to rectify this? I have read on other forums that wheel spacers could have been put on the wrong side or that it might just be the caliper pistons need lubed and cleaned?

any help would be great guys

Dougie

#1 Dougie M, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Slick

Slick Elite Member

It never hurts to whip the callipers off and give them a quick clean. Clean the pistons and apply red grease near the seal and silver grease on the backs of the pads.

Also check your reservoir is not over filled as this will prevent the pistons from retracting completely.

I also prefer to have the brake lines under vacuum, as I believe this also helps retract the pistons. See the Ending Procedure section of this thread for details how to create a vacuum in your brake lines - http://1000rr.co.uk/maintenance/11853.htm#post189320

3. scooby

scooby Elite Member

when you say not spinning,do you mean locked solid or just not very free,as in will spin a couple of times?

4. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

I have never had a bike that had been totally free pads seem too slightly sit on discs . Take calipers off spin wheel it will spin nice . The harder that lever the closer the pads are to the discs I wouldn't worry my 12 the wheels were took off after 3 miles they spun maybe 2-3 times full circle

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Lift the front and whip the calipers off one at a time to see if the wheel moves freely with one caliper on more that the other. i had this on my old bike and it turned out that a piston in one of the calipers wasnt returning properly. A quick piston clean and all was good again.

6. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

It doesnt spin at all, I actually have to push the wheel round, like the brakes are on just slightly...

7. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

HRC Trev and I are going to tackle this today - ill give it a good clean and lube (could do with that myself tbh)

Thanks for the advise guys, appreciated

8. FireBladerDk

FireBladerDk New Member

Dougie M - for safety make sure the brake discs are not getting too hot due to high friction!

After riding say 5 km at speed above 60 km/h without applying the brakes, bring the bike to stop using the gears and just a minimum of foot brake.
    The front brake disks must then not have more than slightly elevated temperature, i.e. you should be able to tuch the metal surface without burning your fingers.

If it gets warmer than that, the drag is too high and the brake system must be repaired.

:) ... Fred