Front wheel not spinning freely.

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Juggler87, May 31, 2014.

1. Juggler87

Juggler87 New Member

So, I've been doing some of my first serious maintenance on my 954 since taking ownership a few months ago. My issue is, the front wheel is not spinning as freely as I'd like. Not such an issue in the summer but I don't fancy the front wheel locking up when I hit oil or ice. I've cleaned the semi floating bobbins (probably the first time they were done). I've also gave the calipers a good clean and got all the pistons moving freely (2 were seized). New pads for good measure. It's better but it still isn't spinning freely.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it could be?

Most bolts were over tightened which makes me think maybe the front wheel was done up too much and damaged the bearings. Penny for your thoughts.

2. iang27

iang27 Active Member

Is the spindle fully in.

When I changed my tyres I fitted the front wheel back in and it was quite stiff, turned out that I 'thought' that the spindle was fully in when it wasn't which made the wheel over to one side ever so slightly and it was dragging on the pads. Quick tap with the mallet and it moved a couple of mm, all good.

3. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

You say 2 pistons were seized,did you just clean these up or replace seals and pistons? Take the calipers off and spin the wheel,if it doesn't spin freely check spindle and maybe replace bearings,they're not that expensive. If it does spin,look at those calipers again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. charger

charger Active Member

Loosen the axle bolt and pinch bolts. Tighten the left side pinch bolts. Tighten the axle bolt. Loosen the left side pinch bolts again. Tighten the right side pinch bolts. Remove the front stand, putting the front wheel on the ground and pump the fork up and down several times to seat the axle. Tighten the left pinch bolts.