Gambia, West Africa – anyone been

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

We are thinking of visiting the Kombo Beach area of Gambia during November for some shorten the winter R&R. The climate seems to be nice and warm and pretty stable at that time of year.

We love the Far East but it’s the wrong time of the year and I can’t be arsed with the southern states US immigration.

Flight time is only about 6 hours and -1 gmt so no jet lag to worry about

I was wondering if anyone has already been and has any advice, tips etc.

Thank you in advance.

#1 Freedom of choice, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just make sure you get your jabs done and take malaria tablets if necessary but avoid lariam (mefloquine hydrochloride) to many side effects, also stay in groups and don't carry to much money when out and about. Experience gained when in Uganda but probably not to much difference

#2 sps170373, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

We have been to the Gambia twice winter 2011 & 2012.
    Stayed in an area called Banjul and the hotel was the laico Atlantic.
    The climate at that time of year suited me great.
    As said.
    Make sure all your injections are up to date and malaria tablets are essential.
    Although they was having a spraying programme trying to control the Mosquitos I believe it is still a hot bed for the disease.
    The hotels will provide mosquito nets for sleeping quarters, ensure you ask on arrival as they are not fitted as standard.
    You will hear and perhaps read stories pertaining to the bumsters, I kid you not within five minutes of hitting the streets & beach you will be like pied piper having a stream of lads promising to be your "friend" & will be your "fixer" whilst in their country.
    To be honest, They are a pain in the arse. And will given half a chance have the fillings out of your teeth.
    Most hotels employ their own security to keep them away from the hotel grounds and usually private beaches.
    But, this is not a reason to be afraid of going out like some reviews would lead you to believe.
    Dad & myself held nightly competitions to see how many we could get offering their services before getting to the hotel.
    My advice as I did is offer them nothing and ask nothing of them, but politie conversation is in abundance.
    In their words. They are only seeking a little bit of luck.
    There are some great trips to do if you wish? The landrover ride is not for the faint hearted.
    This will take you through a nature reserve to the Dusager falls.
    Fishing is very good, you can do organised trips on boats from Denton Bridge which are very user friendly "toilet & bar" & only go out into the Mangroves.
    I hired a boat from a guy who operated out of the Laico.
    We spent a day trolling and that came in at around £100 his name is Pa Jameah & if you wish I'll find you his email address.
    The cooking was a great trip. Dressing you up in local garb you hit the fish market "not for the weak stomach" buy your food and go to a ladies house to cook and eat a meal.
    Forgive me I forget who but she has been on various tv programmes in the uk and the telegraph did an article on her.

I won't get into the politics of a country or offer my view on the people's attitudes because that is only the opinion I formed.

If you ask me, would I go again?
    Yes. Every time.
    I loved it, and living in the real world and being a if I may say so quiet a savvy traveller I had no issues or concerns during my four weeks.

Get it booked. And get gone ;)

:edit:
    Cooking experience
    Ida Njai's http://gambiahomecooking.com/

• Like Like x 1
  4. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I went to the Banjul area some years ago. Had a good time but as Garyb said, every time you go out of the hotel you get pestered and I mean pestered by the local lads wanting to get something from you or show you the sights. At night time, the local ladies were also trading their wares :eek:

Electricity supply was a bit intermittent when I went, particularly early evening which was a pain when getting ready for dinner as it was pitch black. Malaria tabs, tummy tabs, mozzie spray and a torch or two would be on my must list. If you want to trade for some wooden carvings (there are some good quality ones) then used trainers and T shirts are a good currency worth taking some with you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Thank you for all your very welcomed advice guys but we have done a complete about turn and going to the Dominican Republic instead.