Gloss black paint -- Damn stone chips

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dan.1moore1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Guys i am gutted

Every time i wash and polish my new this year bike the stone chips forming up the bottom front of the side panels are doubling at a rate that I'm gonna have to buy new ones before its a year old.

I had the first new shape 600rr with mat grey mids that i never noticed any stone chips on at all . i never liked them but now realise how good they was .

Im sure somebody is gonna say i told u so from when i asked about Venture shield which i wish i got and advise anybody to get.

What can i do now ?

Tried nearly all the autoglym range but the chips are through the lacquer and look like white spots.Its hart breaking and making me paranoid on the bike. Just want to enjoy her with out worrying

Is there any magic scratch repairs that will fill them in with a bit of elbow grease ? Or am i looking at painting or replacing the hole panel?

2. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

I think by the time you get a good painter to paint them you could probably get a good set from ebay cheaper as paint has just went through the roof ever since they changed it to waterbased paint and then put on the venture shield after that

3. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Dan

I'm really suprised by the paint quality of the Honda, it is poor to say the least.

Even Ducati paintwork puts the Honda to shame!!

As stated earlier you will either have to have the pannels painted or source some new/used pannels.

4. Si.

Si. God Like

I use a paint pen from halfords to mask mine ( agree with you, every time I come back, there's a new chip).
    Just press it on, and leave to dry. Then I uses mequires scratch x to blend it in. Virtually un noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fisher

fisher Active Member

Pretty sure Ebay does colour match Honda paint pens, I know they did for the RR7 models, gotta be worth a look

• Like Like x 1
  6. dan.1moore1

Cheers Si,

7. dan.1moore1

Yeah it is rubbish mate. I bought Motographics for the nose as that was getting marked . The swirls from washing are a pain aswell.

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Si about the paint pens, haven't tried scratch x yet so that's on the list. I have to say that not all Ducati paint is created equal. My '96 750ss' paint was gorgeous and tough but an acquaintance of mine with an 848 Black noticed very shortly from new that his leathers were wearing the paint off the tank!

The nosecone on mine is white and after a trip through 5 miles of "road dressing" on the North Devon Link Road it became peppered with, what I thought, were tar splashes but turned out to be scratches down to the base black plastic. Until then the white finish was so good I thought white was the base!.

9. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Not much you can do about stone chips really

The Honda double bubble screens get peppered really bad too.

Especially if you follow other bikes you always seem to get stone chips. The only place I have noticed any so far is the very bottom ov the side fairings where it meets the bellypan V at the front.

You can get a front fender extension for the blade which is a genuine part and think pyramid do them too.

10. dan.1moore1

I have a carbon fender extender on already but it only seems to protect the rad. The majority of the chips are in the same place you said " very bottom ov the side fairings where it meets the bellypan V "

On black they are tiny white dots . Nightmare

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Dan

Don't demonbikes.com do aluminium belly pans?

12. dan.1moore1

Not sure mate.. ill have a look now

13. masher66

masher66 Active Member

nightmare Dan, hope you get it sorted - but you still need to get hold of a ventureshield kit to protect your hard worked solution !

14. dan.1moore1

Yeah hopfully i can get it sorted otherwise new fairing is going to be on the cards soon . Either way i will be Venture sheilding the lot