Goodbye Vulcan

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gRRandeelion, May 8, 2014.

1. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

Well it looks like the Manston air show 2013 would have been the last chance for the people of East Kent to see the Vulcan bomber take off and fly low over the island. The moaners have finally had their way and Manston airport is to close, the tossers that live 10 miles away don't like a bit of noise so we loose a piece of our history, thanks for f... all!

• Like Like x 2
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Gutted. I'd gladly have it launch off the end of my drive daily, just to bask in its awzumness.

Just heard tonight that the Dawlish (yes the place where the railway line washed away) air show this year is one of the venues that will have both the BBMF Lancaster and the Canadian Lancaster flying side by side, probably for the last time ever.

This is cycling distance from me, so...

• Like Like x 2
  3. gRRandeelion

You lucky bugger enjoy it while you can. No more will I see the Red Arrows swoop over head and all the other military hardware that filled our skies. Four days to closure.

4. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

An American firm are frantically trying to buy it lets hope they succeed.That airport has so much potential that is being wasted.I bet they want to sell it off to build houses on it next.Its a great shame.I hope someone decides to build a racetrack on it.That will get em moaning again.
    I love the new road layout around it,perfect for bikes.:D

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Jez, you may well have a point. The reasons stated may well be blowing smoke up the arse of the complainers as a front to build houses for invisible queues of buyers.

Development at the moment is like ringworm. A rapidly growing circle of new builds in green space while the town and city centre brown sites are totally ignored and rotten.

Ooh, a rant....

Sorry.

6. gRRandeelion

Rant away Ken, fill your boots. I live on the flight path you can see the approach lights from the top of my road and my old man worked on the original installation when the Yanks ran the place after the war. It makes me sick to see another valuable asset flogged off for housing, especially with no inferstructure.

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I live near Scampton and so regularly get the Red Arrows practising overhead and we all love it.

When I was a kid I went to school a few miles away from Filton where they did a lot of the stuff for Concorde and would frequently hear engines tests etc and things would grind to a halt when it flew over head.

I hate people who live next to things which existed before they moved there and then complain about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

I lived about three miles as the crow flies from the end of RAF Finningley runway. The home of the vulcans. I went to comp school next to the RAF base and the school used to shake when they did ground runs or flew the plane. Was an awesome sight watching it fly over.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Thats a shame.

10. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Amazing aircraft !

11. gRRandeelion

On the news tonight the American offer of £5 million was turned down (the witch only paid a nominal £1) but the fight goes on, power to the people.

12. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Just reading a book titled Vulcan 607 about the last Vulcan attack on the runway at Port Stanley during the Falklands conflict.

#12 bradt, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  13. marco s

marco s Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Somebody just gave me that one. Not picked it up yet.