Hello, just sum advice needed please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by just_me _and _me _bike, Nov 19, 2013.

1. just_me _and _me _bike

I want to put a Garmin Twat nav on me Blade, wiring the cradle to the ignition so it only works when the ignitions is on aswell as when bike is running.

I also wanna put on the rexspeed rear pillion peg plates on well the rear end.

The electrics i aint got a clue about :( :( :(

Reading through the few " how to .... " threads put on some very kind soles, they make splitting the rear subframe sound dead easy :confused:

So i been round sum of the local dealers ( not all Honda dealers ) and they want £200 to do both jobs.. So is that a reasonable price or shud i MAN the fcuk up n do the rexspeed plates meself, armed with the threads on here, a few hrs and plenty of tea on a sunday afternoon n let the dealer do the twat nav???

Wish modding a bike was bloomi easier :(

:confused:

2. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

I did my rear pegs before I found this site and the helpfull threads

So MTFU :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

There are threads for both the mods you wish to fit to your bike on here, as far as power supply to power up a sat nav there are a few different ways mentioned in the threads i spoke about earlier but the easiest option I have seen by far is by means of the optimate charging accessories.

Basically if you Already have an optimate type charger you already have the power connection fitted to your bike, all that is then required is the purchase of an optimate USB accessory which plugs into the charge lead connected to the battery that you normally use with the optimate charger.
    The optimate USB comes in two different connector types, the older white connector also found on cheaper optimate type chargers and a newer black terminal connector for use solar panel chargers and I think introduced on the optimate 5 (I think it was) the USB plug is the same on both units and comes with a few different USB cable types for various devices.
    The USB accessory has circuitry built in to cut off power to the USB when the bikes not running so you don't end up with flat battery out on the road.

Next the pegs I helped to remove these off ColinBr's bike and although bit time consuming (miby between 1-2 hours) and a bit finicky to remove the rear plastic cowl the actual job wasn't too hard, I would look over the guide threads to acclimate yourself with the job at hand so you know what to expect but it really wasn't too hard of a job!

• Like Like x 2
  4. just_me _and _me _bike

Cheers dude ^^

I dont have an optimate so gonna ask about see if i can ger it done cheap sumwhere, even if its taking to a 1 man band place, as im not comfortable messing with electronics on the bike :(

5. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Using the optimate accessories the only wiring connection to the bike is two wires to be connected at the battery so no splicing bikes loom or anything.

This will give you an idea of what I am talking about this lead goes to the battery terminals.

optimate_sae71-p500.jpg

And this is the USB device that plugs into the above lead and gives you a powered USB socket to plug the sat nav into, it also comes with common USB leads as shown.

accessoires-batterie-optimate-chargeur-usb_hd.jpg

The lead is about £5-6 depending on where you shop (also come with battery chargers) and the USB unit is about £25 if I remember correctly, but as you can see it's easy to hook up as only two wires to rig to the bike and the USB turns on and off itself and only runs when the bikes running as mentioned before.

Here's a link to a company that's doing both the lead and USB adaptor for total of £29 inc delivery.
    Battery patch lead £3.99 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-5-AND-NEW-2-12V-WEATHERPROOF-PERMANENT-FUSED-EYELET-LEAD-SAE71-SAE-71-/251042981552?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a7353e6b0
    USB adaptor £24.99 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-5-AND-NEW-2-WEATHERPROOF-SAE-USB-CHARGER-ADAPTOR-CONNECTOR-SAE100-/281040556190?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item416f52909e

#5 ShinySideUp, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Do the rear pegs yourself it is easy, certainly not £200 worth, if you get stuck just send me a PM I will happily take a phone call or two to help you through it :)

all for £100 lol .....

really though if you need some help let me know, i write engineering guides for a living so can explain it quite well and have just done it on my 13 so should still remember what I did ;)

Looks like the optimate has solved the other issue :)

• Like Like x 2