Help buying a van..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Doing my driving test this winter so I can get a van for transporting the track bike. This will probably end up being my commuter to work as well. It will be used primarly for transporting 1/2 trackbikes and also sound equipment/amplifiers/guitars etc on occasions.

What would you guys who drive/buy vans suggest, max budget of £4K.

Cheers

2. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

I have got a Citroen Relay LWB and it is spot on. A mate has an older one too that just keeps going and going. Motoforum and trackdayriders websites sometimes have some good buys advertised. Don't just limit yourself to looking for one that is ready kitted out though, yes it is nice to have all the bits, but you can buy front wheel chock support thingys from Demon Tweeks and bolt them through the floor of a standard van. With £4000 you should get a very good buy.

3. Yorkshire Tyke

All im after is a van in good condition fairly low miles with plenty of space. Ill adapt it myself into a trackday pimp machine ;)

4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

The Renault master / Vauxhall vivaro are well liked and very car like. I know somebody who has one for same use as you without problem.

5. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Vivaro,Master or Primastar are probably the best out there for your money.They drive very well and are comfortable.Also look at the VW LT but good ones can be more money.

6. sinewave

sinewave God Like

We run Vivaro's young Tyke and very good they are too.

Get yer sen a Long Wheel Base Vivaro which will give you more space to slide a Tracker in to one of these from DT, ACE value at under $40

Warrior Stand.jpg
    Warrior Stand.png

It will also allow you to fit a decent sheet of 18mm ply in for using as a flat base for Paddock stands at Tracks like Darley Moor when some of the parking is less than good concrete shall we say! :rolleyes:

#6 sinewave, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Tyke , I drive vivaro's at work , excellent van never had any big problems with them ,
    Easy to drive my last one had 168,000 on the clock , only reason it got changed 5 years old
    and they have to go ....

8. Souleh

Souleh Active Member

I have a SWB Transit and so far really impressed. Plenty of room for genny/bike/etc that goes with you and good economical thing and handy to drive. Actually really comfy too.

Plenty of room in the back for an airbed for sleeping over at circuits etc too :)

9. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

I've got a twin cab long base vivaro, do exactly the same as you want, it's my daily commuter, but fits a bike in the back... like it so much we go on holidays with it, fits the wife and kid nicely in the back :D :D
    I did make sure I got one with 2 single seats in the front, more comfy than a proper van passenger seat...

if getting a vivaro get a 2.5ltr, alot better than the 1.9.... mines chipped to 165 and still pulls at 185km/hr fully loaded ( tested 2 weeks going to Brno;) )

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yorkshire Tyke

Haha pimping up a VAN love it!!! :)

Yeah I've been looking at the vivaro but a lot of lads on tdr forum say it has reliability issues?

Soon as I get paid though I'm doing the car test, can't wait to have freedom to do trackdays whenever I want!

11. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

the only problem I had was the injector that was leaking, otherwise no problems... good milage aswell, 8ltr to 100km