HID headlight question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by martinowen, Feb 3, 2014.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

One of car headlights has turned to a lovely pink/purple colour (still produces plenty of light), can anyone tell me if this is because the bulb has gone or is it something more expensive gone wrong?

Honda very kindly offered to supply a bulb for 100 quid (just bulb not fitting) but can't tell me if it will fix the problem
    NO THANKS!

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Am sure I read somewhere that HID bulbs degrade over time so might be what's happened, am sure my lights used to be brighter when I first bought it, there also HID

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I hope it's just a bulb, just got to find somewhere that sells them a tad cheaper than 100 quid

4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Have a look at Halfords as they have started doing HID bulbs or check ebay

5. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Couldn't see them on halfords site but will pop in tomorrow

6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Martin,

Pink light in HID lights normally means the bulbs getting near the end of its life, you can pick up aftermarket bulbs for OEM fitted systems a lot cheaper but the light temp is normally different ie OEM bulbs rin at about 4300k where as aftermarket normally start at 5000k which is a whiter light the higher the kelvin level the more blue to purple the light output!

Highest I would go is 6000k which is a bright white light with just tinge of blue starting to show, any higher and you lose the light that actually hits the ground in front of the car!

Oh an not to kick a man while he's down but got some more bad news for you, Sorry mate but you normally have to replace both bulbs as the light output does degrade in HID lights and show up like a sore thumb when new bulb n old are used together.
    But the main reason for also changing both at same time they have both been running the same amount of hours and when one goes the others usually not too far behind!

7. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Cheers Craig I thought that may be the case they are only 100 quid each I might just get some spares while I'm there :eek:

8. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

When manufacturers first started fitting the hid systems to cars about 10 years ago bulbs were a smidgen under £500 each! :eek:

9. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Think I have found a pair on eBay (if right bulbs) 15quid posted for 2