Higher Education

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Bit of a random one I suppose people lol

Basically I'm doing my degree alongside my apprenticeship in engineering, enjoying it but it is bloody hard work along with full time employment. I am considering doing my masters degree also, this is all funded by the company I work for but I will be 30 by the time it's all done.

Just interested to know what level those in the same/similar industries have studied to and if you though it was worth it?

I know that on paper next to someone without a masters, you'd look better with one, but experience counts for a lot these days. What's the real truth of it. Everyone says to me if it's free then do it, but it is a big commitment of time and effort and I want to make an informed decision.

Cheers

:p

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Done my degree on day release, took 5 years, was tough as I had a fair amount of responsibility at work by the last two years (the positive of studying and working) so was doing a 5 day week in 4 at work plus day at Uni and coursework. Had to do private work also to help fund the mortgage etc but was well worth it as I think it helps tick the box for future employers.

Was a great way to do it IMO, had no debt, loads of experience and the guys doing day release were far more clued up than full time students.

Can't say I learnt much I didn't learn at work, but got the piece of paper to say I do ;)

Thought about doing the masters but didn't, might do in the future if I fancy a change but for now, work is manic so couldn't face it tbh.

If you can fit it in and they are paying, then go for it. You'll still be gaining experience at work and not getting into debt over it. Nobody can take it off you once you have it mate and 30 ain't that old ;)

#2 Jimbo Vills, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshire Tyke

Cheers for advise jimbo. And keep tellin yourself that..

4. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Did my HNC, HND and BSc. Applied Computing Degree all part-time one after the other whilst working full-time. It helped that I was working for a University, so didn't end up costing me a penny :)

Bloody hard work and by the time I'd finished the degree (2:1) I'd had enough. 7 years in total!

5. ChrisOzzz

ChrisOzzz Active Member

If your happy in your job/company & they are sponsoring & giving you some flexibility with time It's well worth it. It is a big commitment but if you have the time go for it...

I'm a department manager in an engineering company I don't have a degree but have relevant A levels and HNC & 15+ years of experience which in my experience does count for a lot. I've never found not having a bit of paper has ever stopped me but if I had my time again I'd get them

I guess it also depends what your long term aspirations are..

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Ozz

6. Yorkshire Tyke

I just wanna earn as much money as possible but also enjoy my job.

More money=more trackdays/races/bikes

:)