Honest advice needed!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Bigbrownyeti, May 31, 2024.

1. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

Hi everybody, i dont know wether its a confidence thing or if its just my age starting to creep up on me, or if its my bike setup, but, ive not had my blade long, but im finding low speed control on the thing pretty on the road.
    Im only 30 and ive recently had a few years out of riding sportsbikes and been riding around on an early 80s cb750f (could call it the homo erectus of fireblades).
    I was scraping the pegs on that thing and could drag my knee without any trouble, and i learnt to ride on an rs125, i used to drill going around in circles dragging my elbows on that, and then my first proper machine was an early cbr400rr nc29 and again had no problems dragging my elbows on roundabouts and motorway exits on that, i could even kiss the tarmac with the engine protection on my r1150gs at request and ive got no problem touching down on my fireblade at 50 upwards, but im finding it an absolute pig below that, i feel super unstable at low speed, i can feel myself fighting the bars exiting corners, im finding it incredibly hard to navigate in tight vilages, i mean to be honest if you were to see me you wouldnt have any idea im having a bad time. With anybody whos been riding bikes 15 years + theres a certain level of skill you acquire where if you have taken an interest in actually, proactively learning, you're gonna have a very good base level of control. But i honestly cant figure out how to ride this thing at low speed. i took 3 years out of riding bikes all together because of an accident and the first bike i got on, i started the bike (sv650), rode it 40m to the end of an industrial estate, u turned, clutched it up and wheelied the thing the whole length of the industrial estate and touched the front wheel gently and gave the bike back and mentioned how easy that thing was to ride. But the blade im having a hard time getting used to.
    I dont know.
    whenever im going around a slow bend im finding myself putting a load of Pressure on the inside bar to navigate, basically im using the bars ALOT and ive always ridden with basically very little pressure on the bars.
    Roundabouts, unless im hanging off the bike a bit and throwing my weight around, im finding the bike super unstable and difficult to turn in, i keep going wide, so im having to correct and lay the bike down lower in a desperate attempt to keep myself from running into gravel.
    Is this just what happens when you learn on very light, very nimble, near perfect handling machines? Ive got a ktm 1190 adventure at the moment too and that just became an extention of my body within about 10 seconds of starting the bike, any ideas what it could be about my blade?
    Only things i can think of is, ive only ever ridden on 110/150 and 120/160 tyres my whole riding life and ive got a massive flat spot on my rear from previous owner and and the front is on its way out. The bike feels like its been fiddled with a bit and had huge chicken strips when i bought it so i feel like previous owner was a bit of a squid
    And maybe im just bricking it. because this is the only bike ive ever ridden where my right hand actually has the ability to scare the shit out of me.
    Ive ridden other superbikes but only for a few minutes at a time and im only testing them out or a mates asked me try out my new bike, ive had mates say i cant wheelie my bike can you make sure its not me and every time im just thinking you're absolutely insane asking someone to wheelie your bike.
    But my friends seem to trust my riding. But i reckon theyre all enjoying me struggle on this one haha. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, insults accepted. Screenshot_20240531_083850_Instagram.jpg

2. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

I also need to learn how to write ledgible posts, so i apologise for any rambling and lack of punctuation, i speak too much in real life and i wasnt the most punctual student in english classes at school. Im starting to regret that choice a bit

3. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

Also ive never been on a track day, im trying to source a big cheap slip on can i can slap on a 60mm mid pipe that i can also put a baffle in to get through noise tests, i bought the bike with a racefit can thinking it looks and sounds nice, and completely overlooked the volume of the thing. Even with the baffle in, its still the loudest bike i own and until i sort that, the bike wont get to a track to fulfill its dream of finally visiting its natural habitat.
    Im considering buying a new grmoto 60mm 280mm titanium / cf can but have only heard one on a ktm 1050 adv and it was still fairly loud.
    I dont really want a stock can on the bike as its massive and heavy but will resort to it if it means i can get the bitch on a track.

4. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the tyre. You're now riding a much wider rear (is it 190 or 200?) compared to the 150 or 160 you're used to, AND it's lost its profile. It'll be having that horrible tendency to want to stay upright. You're having to sort of heave the bike out of the flat spot... which is easier at higher speeds, but harder at low speeds.
    That's my take, for what it's worth. (It might have gotten in to your head a bit too)

I say this having JUST fitted brand new sporty tyres to my bike, and being reminded once again how 'flighty' the bike ACTUALLY is at low speeds when its got decent boots on!

5. Alan Summers

Alan Summers Active Member

Sounds like you need a nice Scorpion can that may be for sale in the for sale section

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gatsoburner

Gatsoburner Active Member

Tyres are so important when it comes to cornering at any speed, as its been said slow speed you'll feel it way way more than when trapping on.
    You dont sound like a novice by any stretch of the imagination so its not 'you' its the bike.
    Get new tyres on it .

7. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

Yeah its definitely getting to my head, the weather has been shite too which hasnt been helping, new tyres it is, i was going to, soon, but thought id get some motorway miles in before i slap some decent rubber on, any recommendations? I probably wont be commuting on this as ive got something a bit more comfortable for that. but it does rain an awful lot in the south of england. so dont really wanna get anything too track focused, as i will be riding in all weather.

8. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

What pressure's you running at?

9. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Re: tyres, I've always fitted Dunlop... when I was commuting more I would fit their RoadSmart... been good enough for the occasional trackday. Although, I do tend to avoid riding in the wet, so cannot comment on their wet performance.
    Now that my commuting days are all but over, I've gone for their SportSmart. Still scrubbing in, but liking it so far... bike feels more agile than a housefly!