How to check my 2010 Blade will not burn oil ?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Hudson, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Due to me having a rather niffty private plate to put on my next bike (a Repsol blade), then the oldest it needs to be is a March 2010 registered so it can take a ''10'' plate.

But... i understand only the new 2012 blade may have a chance of having this rather hit and miss oil burning issue sorted. So apart from asking the current owner of this future 2010 blade if it burns oil :fie: how the hell can i tell from inspection etc.

2. Mel

Mel Active Member

I cant really help with telling on inspection, but i did solve the problem.

I refill the oil every 1000 miles :D simples.... hope that helps. :D

3. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Many blade followers have shyed away from the current generation where the oil burning issue was never resolved. According to Big H a litre for every 1k miles was acceptable which to many owners is BS at its very best. Reports that the 08 had the wrong rings fitted etc: in which some dealers entertained the claims of noisy motor and oil burning. The pistons on the 08 on were considerably lighter than its predecessor where piston speed was increased at the expense of. Having dealt with lighter after market pistons I was warned about oil consumption and now of the opinion the volume mass expansion of the lighter piston cannot close the piston to liner clearence sweet FA to do with rings as some 2010 are still like Torrey Canyons.
    Have not heard of any 04-07 blade with an oil issue.

4. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

I have a 08 Blade its riddenhard on road or track and oil.consumption is.not a problem.

I also own a 03 zx6 which does use a bit of oil but even if it did use 1 litre per 1000 mile as I ride less than 4000 miles a year it costs £30 a year to own the bike I want to own. And you have to ask yourself is that really a problem and reason not to get the bike you want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Just dont worry about it - i dont even consider it a problem or even a minor inconvenience.

6. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Agreed!
    Alternatively, you could go and pour over the all the internet scaremongering on this topic and worry yourself into buying a different bike for no real reason ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

As said. My 2011 blade has used 600mil of oil in 4k. Some use less some more. but it's worth checking. like the tyre pressures.

8. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I had an 06 which drank oil, so now you've heard of one :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Whilst I currently happy with my RR5 my next bike will probably be an 09-10 Blade. I will not worry about the oil consumption and take it as the norm, at least the oil gets changed regularly. If you get it from a dealer ask the question and if it turns out to use oil you might be able to squeeze a few free litres from them?

Whats the plate number?

10. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

I was going to get RR10 REP for £200.. might still be available..

11. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Thanks for the replies, i guess i should not worry but i can not understand how using that much oil could do the internals of the bike any good at all, if supersport bikes were meant to '' pass '' that much oil through their internals i am sure they all would do it.

I know from my car ownership years that if a car i had went around with billows of blue smoke coming from the exhaust, there would not be many that would consider it normal. I will need to consider what to do, but i really have set my heart on a 2010 Repsol...... i just wish Honda had got this sorted before 2012.

12. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

They don't burn oil do they? lol

13. gixerthou

gixerthou Active Member

hey i have a 08

and have not had any oil burning issues

and yes i ride everyday (all weathers) at least 30 miles a day

14. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

It not an issue mate, well no more than you might have to put a bit of oil in every now and then. Seriously have you read of one report of a failed engine or problems assiocated to oil burning, it really is people worrying about nothing IMO.

Honda are a multi million pound organisation who pride themselves on a high reputation for quality and reliability especially in the bike sector they are not going to expose themselves to a problem and just ignore it. The 2008 Blade had a recall for the clutch and the coolant hose if oil consumption was a problem they would have issued a recall.

If you want the Repsol buy it, enjoy it and top the oil up as and when required is my advice. Sorry if I seem hard or direct, I don't mean to be but it is that simple really, Its a great bike and I m sure if you can forget this oil consumption that seems to worry you, you will enjoy the ownership.

I can think of no members on here who wish they did'nt own an 08 model onwards Blade for any reason not least a little oil consumption in a few cases. Seriously buy the bike and enjoy is my advice mate, I m confident you won't regret it, well no else has yet..

#14 BladeRR8, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  15. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

Got to agree as above...if we the general public were to listen to ever little fault that might just happen we would never buy anything... god how many times have we heard about Ducati bikes...... and whos laughing now