HRC Cams 08-16 - opinions/experience

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Kevyo89, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Kevyo89

Kevyo89 New Member

Hi guys,

what’s the story with HRC cams? Do they (on their own), give much improvement over the standard ones?

is there any issue with reliability after fitting?

also, are there any variations to the ‘HRC cams’ available for this year fireblade or are they all the same? Reason I’m asking is because I’ve found a set going second hand and I’m unsure if there are different profiles of HRC cams?

sorry for a very noob question. This stuff is all new to me

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Coda

Coda Active Member

I don't know for sure, but I would suspect after messing with cams on cars... if they are race profile cams, they are likely to have higher lift or altered durations. Meaning without a race ECU and a proper tune, the bike will run like shit, especially on the road. And even if you do have it tuned, it will still run like shit on the road.

Good luck though. Report back what you find.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kevyo89

Kevyo89 New Member

it’s going to be raced and dyno tuned for the purpose

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coda

Coda Active Member

5. bladey

bladey Senior Member

UM........Don't know where that came from. Lardy fingers. :oops::oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Wes

Wes Active Member

When fitting a hot cam to a KXF 250 a few years back it meant having to install stronger valve springs, titanium valves, new con rod (and a piston seeing as it was apart ! ) and crank shaft bearings.
    Dyno proved a good jump in power but it wasn’t cheap. The added components were to give reliability to the build.

7. Kevyo89

Kevyo89 New Member

I appreciate the input lads but I’m really looking for advice from people who’ve fitted these exact cams to their CBR1000rr.

Aftermarket cams on car engines / hotcams on a motocross bike I suspect, are going to be different to fitting a set of HRC Honda camshafts to a Honda engine. Surely? I don’t know, but hopefully someone can clarify for sure

8. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Has your tuner worked with performance cams. Otherwise it could easily become open cheque book and pissing in the wind.

9. Kake

Kake Active Member

There are different style HRC cams. Some are available with money and the best ones are not. Cams make a difference but ECU must be flashed. We had the stock cams ground even more lift and longer duration than HRC cams and combined with high comp, full Akra, 2014 velocity stacks and ECU flash is makes 185 rwhp and 116rw Nm of torque. Huge improvement over the tuned stock. If you make this kinda modifications of course it'll have an affect on the longevity of the engine. One thing you should do after these mods is too replace the 3rd gear with Nova racing one.