I don't believe it!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jamz, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

I got some of that Muc-off bike cleaner today..

Wet bike, spray it on and leave for 5 mins..agitate any bad bits with sponge..

As my bike has been sat around for 4-5 weeks it was a bit dirty and not been washed since Brands Hatch :/

Im using one of this sponges with the non scratch surfaces to agitate the bad bits...it foams up so I'm cleaning away and its doing a good job getting the grime off.

It dries and now my bike is fking full of swirls in the paint from that non scratch sponge!! all over the nose, tank, screen, rear end and firings...basically all the plastic.

It's all just been done from the off I had too 3 months ago.

It's a Black bike and it's fking ruined....man I'm sooo pissed!

2. fisher

fisher Active Member

Was the paint lacquered mate

3. vino

vino New Member

I feel your pain - I had a similar experience with my old bike. Hop to the cleaning thread in maintenance. There are some ubber cleaning & detailing freaks/gods on there that will most doubt offer you some advice on how to remedy it
    http://1000rr.co.uk/maintenance/1263.htm

• Like Like x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Meguairs SwirlX is relatively easy to get hold of, Jamz. It would probably be the first thing I'd reach for.

5. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Your joking mate. That is terrible !!

Have you tried just a soapy water wash then wax and polish ? Is it actually swirls cut into the finish or a film left by the cleaning agents

I would try a long email mentioning legal advise to see if you can scare the company into some kind of compensation . Was it a sponge provided by a Muc-off or one you sourced your self

6. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Ok now I've got over my hussy fit. I've managed to get a lot if it out with indeed the swirlX from Maguires as mentioned above.

I've had it ages, it's a plastic t-cut for scratches. I had for a convertible rear plastic mirror and never used it.

Still some there but hopefully tomoz when I look at it properly in the sunlight most of it's gone.

Cheers for the replys lads

7. Bats

Bats Active Member

Never use anything like muc off! Always use elbow grease and a quality shampoo! i use the PH neutral dodo ;)

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

And for a conditioner?

Glad they came off Jamz, fingers crossed for the tailenders.

9. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Thanks mate, what do you mean by conditioner?

For now I went to work with the SwirlX, give it all another clean then waxed it with a quick detailer as it was getting late n dark

I have always used a bucket full of decent suds, maquires is what I ran out of so thought I'd try something different.

Theres nothing wrong with Muc-off products it's the bloody so called non scratch sponge I stupidly used that caused the swirls. and for those that asked it was a ASDA sponge with the non scratch side..I use these all the time on my visor after a ride..work a treat and dont scratch which is why I was shocked to see what it had done to the paint

That spray is actually really good and lifting dirt etc, you just need to do a lil bit of work on the heavy areas.

I'd certainly recommend the product. Just not the sponge :)

10. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

So hows it all looking now with a bit of daylight back on it?

11. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Looks okay fella but obviously there are still a few more than what I had before :(

You will always get some as it's black, most of the ones you can still see are in the nose and screen but as I said they are there but you'd have to really look to see them.

Screen I'm not bothered about as I was getting a light tint one anyhow

Strange thing is the rear/cowl etc are not scratched...

Maybe this was a combination of me not rinsing the bike off properly first before getting the sponge on it and leaving the product long enough to do it's thing..

12. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Well at least it's sounding an awful lot better than when you first posted but still a harsh lesson for you, but also a good warning to the rest of us!

13. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

Glad its sorted now mate and didn't realise you had an off 3 months ago either. Will try and hook up for a ride out with you and Sue when mine is back together in a few weeks.

14. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Sweet bud, yea took a corner I didn't know too fast, managed to stand the bike up and slow down to 15-20mph but as soon as I hit the grass verge I lost the front wheels and it leaned over and went down a ditch.

Smashed the nose in, no fork DMG just cosmetic, lights speedo etc..after waying up costa I decided to go through the insurance as I didnt have anything to lose anyway.

15. dan.1moore1

Mines black Jamz and if you lok close its bloody full of swirls now its 5 months old .. Black is a bugger for it

16. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Yea mate, il go over it again to try and get rid of some more.

Is there any other swirl scratch removal products for plastic available that are worth while checking out?

17. dan.1moore1

Im still looking for a good one my self. I have all the Autoglym stuff now but it doesn't get rid of everything

18. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, mate, bad joke. Bat's post read like a hair product ad.

19. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

lol.. yea your right now ive just re-read it myself

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member