I got a decision to make

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Spygoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Today I sold the boxes that contain my GSXR750 track bike. I have my 16 Repsol and an incoming bike (2019 BMW S1000RR) to play with and the Harley to cruise around on. However, the track bike void needs to be filled. So, I am asking you lot to tell me what you would do. Put the Repsol on the track full time and ride the BMW on the street or put the BMW on track full time and ride the Repsol on the street?

I am leaning towards the BMW as a full time track bike.

2. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Put the BMW on the track .....

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Spygoat

I think that's where I'm headed. Some race bodywork and a few tweaks should make it a perfect weapon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

100% get the BMW tracked, your repsol is far too clean and stunning to track it!

5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

+1 for BMW on track

6. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah i would put the beemer on track

7. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Hey Spygoat, it sounds a very good dilemma to be in. I am going to steer the other way. If it was my dilemma I would want to ‘baby’ the BMW for a few years, plus show it off a bit as it’s a brand new bike. As the Repsol is a three year old bike, it is nicely run in and sorted so I would track the Repsol.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I’m with you @dessp2 relish the newness of the BMW for at least a season

• Like Like x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think another point in weighing this up is to consider the amount of time on track versus road. From there, the majority of time, or the majority of enjoyment should make the decision clear.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

BMW is a pure track machine, get it on track ASAP, my R1 was run in on track lol, they are made for track, you can't use there full potential on road? As for "showing it off a bit as a new bike" some people have a weird idea's? Does one really buy a track bike to show it off? Lol sad people

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Damn! Best I sell my SP2:(;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

No don't sell it, track it... ;):p

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

What, and let all you guys on 600s etc blast by me? I couldn't suffer the embarrassment:(:).

I will add that I did used to race on a highly modified CB750 bored to 820 (CB350 pistons) and running on straight methanol. Won races and had fastest laps, but those days are far behind me. Certainly, I've had pangs to hit the track, but just muster the bollocks to do it. Piss poor, I know. I guess I'm just as content with my 30-mile loops and lounge room bling.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. hitch

hitch Elite Member

No one can tell you how to enjoy your bikes.
    Whatever makes you happy...I have a nice quote "What other people think (of you), is none of your business"

Ride, clean (obsessively) and smile :D

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

True. Don't get me wrong, I'm merely sharing a bit of friendly banter with @SimonRR .:)

He does have a strong case as the SP2 was originally directed to race teams only. (Some race bike it turned out to be:rolleyes:).

And you are quite correct @hitch that our passions for bikes will be channelled in very different ways. If this was a situation of someone saying 'Nigel's got a friggin' SP2 in his lounge room. The bastard's depriving a racer of a good bike,' I would agree. However, SP2s are, unfortunately, at the bottom of a track rider's list. In fact, the damn thing might not even make a list!! So I am therefore hedging my bets on the SP2's value appreciating as 'Honda's 20th Century Race Flop.' That's what 'm talkin' about!!:cool::D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Spygoat

The Repsol is staying my street bike. I don't really "show off" bikes much. The BMW is more track focused. Remember, my Repsol has no electronics, no ABS, nothing. Just an electronic steering dampener. I think the BMW would make an excellent track bike. I also have the option to convert it back to street quite easily if I decide I want to street it.

Thanks for all the input!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

It would be hard to resist putting the BMW on the track, but there's no reason why you can't do road and track.

I don't have the luxury of two bikes to choose from, but I will definitely be doing a track day or two on the my SP this year!

Got too be done!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good on ya Paulo. Gamer than me!!;)

19. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

All is not lost N let's see how the fireblade gets on this year....it took Ducati 4 yrs on the paninigirle before it won BSB......and not WSB and that had full factory Behind it.....keep the faith...

20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Not sure what the warranty position is with new bikes like the BMW being used/modified for track use ? does the warranty go in the bin ? does any of that matter ?

Just wondering what colour is the new Beemer going to be ?

• Agree Agree x 1